How do we do this?

UK Printer

Morning All,

Have you seen the new Luxe business cards from moo.com, we want to do something similar. Basically we need to print two 200gsm single sided sheets (that bits not a problem) then we put a 200gsm sheet of uncoated card in the middle of the two sheets.

When the cards are cut you get a fantastic coloured stripe running through the middle of the business cards.

I wondered does anyone on the forum have any experience of joining sheets together like this.

I figures creating a simple right angle jig, that way we can ensure precise registration of the front and back, but we're experimenting with types of glue or other processes of joining 3 sheets together to form a great bond, with no 'wrinkling' caused by any adhesive used.

Appreciate your help as always.

Tim

It looks to me as though they've gone to the mill and had their own custom paper made.
I am not aware of any adhesive that would not damage the paper (wrinkles) or eventually separate during printing or cutting. I would love to see what you guys come up with. Maybe some form of lamination?

I would recommend using folio sheets for joining, and then cutting down before printing, that way your sheets are uniform

"When the cards are cut you get a fantastic coloured stripe running through the middle of the business cards."

You should have posted a direct link to the particular moo product referred here. We should not have to hunt through the moo web site just to give you suggestions.

Al

Morning All,

Have you seen the new Luxe business cards from moo.com, we want to do something similar. Basically we need to print two 200gsm single sided sheets (that bits not a problem) then we put a 200gsm sheet of uncoated card in the middle of the two sheets.

When the cards are cut you get a fantastic coloured stripe running through the middle of the business cards.

I wondered does anyone on the forum have any experience of joining sheets together like this.

I figures creating a simple right angle jig, that way we can ensure precise registration of the front and back, but we're experimenting with types of glue or other processes of joining 3 sheets together to form a great bond, with no 'wrinkling' caused by any adhesive used.

Appreciate your help as always.

Tim

See

Mohawk and MOO.com Create Luxe Business Cards � Mohawk News A guess from the description print pre-laminated two ply 300gsm front and back on precision trimmed stock. Then collate and laminate front and back together using either 'reactivating' adhesive or, less likely, surface glue PVA - used in case binding, mounting paper on board, photo albums. Trimming on a guillotine with a 'soft' clamp - laborious probably slow. Too thick to slit on typical business card slitting systems. Use tolerant templates to avoid/'design out' registration/bleed issues.

Note 'credit card' production similarities.

Joe,

I never did find whatever I was supposed to at the moo site because I still do not know what to look for.

Does anyone know what this specialty product is at the moo site?

Al

I don't know if anyone but MOO is able to purchase the paper though. You would need to ask your Mohawk rep.

The mohawk paper isn't really the issue, we can get hold of this through lots of sources in the UK. The point of interest is the bonding of the sheets together after they're printed.

The indigo isn't running 600gsm sheet through the press! Its just running 200gsm x 2 printed with some coloured card in the middle thats 200gsm, put em all together and hey presto 600gsm business cards.

Appreciate all the info mind.

Best regards

Tim

Nice idea, I wonder why they want/need 4 layers though? Pretty sure we could do this on our case manufacturing kit with a few tweaks. Pretty expensive to set up for if you don't already do hardback books though.

Why not explore some type of distributorship, or subsidiary type of relation with them, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel and then be burdened with the need to circumvent their patent? It seems that would be in their interest as well.

Al

I doubt whether moo have any kind of patent on this and it's really not difficult. Having looked into it, there are several companies that have been doing it for years. I was chatting about this with my production supervisor this morning and by coincidence a mate of his just bought cards from a printer in Germany that are identical.

My guys ran a few for me and they look perfect, we can basically make them any thickness we like and loads of options on materials. I've now got a bunch of business card samples on my desk, some "colour sandwich" and some bonded extra thick with gold lizard skin on the back. Very cool.

Showed these to another colleague. He joked that we can now match people's business cards to their handbag! Well it's funny, but we could actually do it... :)

an update from a bit later on... pretty much everyone in the factory has had a look at these now and we've all had a smile at the gold lizard skin ones. Thanks for the topic "UK Printer", cheered everyone up a little bit!

Last edited:
Since your original post requested that we help you figure out how do this, are you now going to share with us how you do it?

Al

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back