How to Produce a Contract Proof ? - I need Some Pointers.

Benk

Hi Everybody,

Can anyone shed some light on the quickest way to produce accurate proofs for our offset print operator to use. We have a Xerox 7800 printer for proofing. We close PDF's from InDesign and preflight them in Acrobat Pro. I need somehow to print a relatively accurate colour proof. Whenever I delve into the realms of colour management I get so confused.

I would really appreciate some wisdom and guidance

Ben

Last edited:
Ok, how do you print your proofs? Via RIP?

If so, make sure you have the specified Swop color profile selected as your destination/output/press profile in your RIP. In InDesign, select the specified Swop color profile for Destination when exporting the file to PDF (see attached).

INDD_Color.jpg

That seems straightforward enough. When printing should I also select a colour profile or will the printer (xerox 7800) know this information from the PDF.

Before we get to much more into this, can you describe your workflow and the process of how you make your color proofs?

I am fully aware of the complexities of colour management....down the rabbit hole....so basically this is how I work. The graphics are soft proofed by the client, we preflight the PDF in Acrobat, plates are produced from the Prinergy ripped PDF (we do not have a licence for the proofing software) and I print the PDF on our Xerox 7800. I basically need to know how to get this proof close to the expected destination device. I also realise that it is important to use paper close to that which will be used in final printing.

thanks

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back