How to Set Up a Perfect Bound Book w/Custom Spine Calculator in InDesign

Mike the Print Man

Did a video on how to set up a InDesign file for a perfect bound book. Also created a custom spine width calculator.

Let me know your thoughts.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the video. What if content on a text page stops at the inside fold? That content needs to bleed off prior to perfect binding.

Best regards,
pd

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the video. What if content on a text page stops at the inside fold? That content needs to bleed off prior to perfect binding.

Best regards,
pd
I think maybe I'm not understanding your question. Do you mean content that goes into the gutter area of the book? Like a background?

Hi Mike,

Please see below. Since the image stops at the fold and this would perfect bind, the pages need to be separated so the image can bleed off the left side of the page.

Best regards,
pd

Screenshot 2024-08-15 at 7.34.10 AM.jpg

Hi Mike,

Please see below. Since the image stops at the fold and this would perfect bind, the pages need to be separated so the image can bleed off the left side of the page.

Best regards,
pd

View attachment 293086
I see what you mean. Normally it shouldn't be a problem, however, because that area is going to fall into the gutter of the book. Most of the time anything within 5-10mm (depending on book thickness) will fall into the gutter and not be able to be seen anyway, so you wouldn't even notice it. If the perfect bound book is super thin for any reason, then setting up your InDesign file without facing pages on would be a good idea.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back