HP Indigo 3000 Pure Back Overprint

Nathan

Hi guys, been a while since I was on here, but I have a question for all you HP Indigo buffs.

I've been printing a small order of business cards for one client fairly frequently. I've been printing them digitally as follows:

with a 100%C pattern beneath a 100%K overprint (floodcoat) to face. This would create a rich back in the areas with both K and C, which gave the card a subtle (but waxy) raised textural effect. I've had this working on two xerographic production units (xerox and konica minolta) but I'm now trying to get it to work on an HP Indigo 3000. I understand that the HP Indigo uses a fine toner/mineral oil suspension, but it IS still toner, (regardless as to what HP will have you believe) the colours are still applied one at a time, and it still fuses to the substrate, albeit at a lower temperature. (100 degrees C) This suggests to me that so long as the press is set to use pure black, black overprint is turned on, and the file isn't flattened in prepress, there is no reason why this shouldn't work, although I expect it will be less waxy. My (new) supplier hasn't done this before, and when I received the job it looks like they've flattened the file and printed in 100%K only.

So my question is: should a black overprint be achievable on an HP indigo 3000? What press settings need to be changed to accommodate?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back