Hp smartstream designer variable colour

Jimmyc

hi all,

Newbie on hp smartstream here. I need to have a box fill changing colours, I have an excel file with a list of colours and an indesign pallet that matches but I just can't figure it out ? I could include a greyscale image if that was an option of colouring up ?

I have variable text that changes color and images working fine but but just stuck on a sold colour change.

Thanks in advance

I'm not at work right now so I can't confirm, but I don't think it can change the color of a box. I think instead of the greyscale image, you could simply make some Illustrator files with boxes of solid color and make them variable. Name each one so it matches what's called out in the Excel file.

Another option would be to use a layer swap. You would make one layer with everything except the box, and write a rule that states that layer is Always On. Then draw your different colored boxes each on its own layer, then write a rule that calls each layer based on whatever your trigger is.

The first option will compose faster, though - seems like whenever I have a layer swap it really slows things down when I go to create the final PDF.

I'll be happy to take a closer look on Monday. Feel free to PM me with a link to the files so I can take a peek.

*Just thought of another way, if it's a rectangular box: Instead of drawing a box, use a text dingbat character that is a solid square and apply pont size and stretching to it to make it the shape you need. Because it is text, now you can apply a Style rule to change its color, just like you did with the rest of the text. I think I like this method best - it seems the simplest and most straightforward!

Well, my third way does work - I found an older version of SS here at home and tested it out. It's running on InDesign CS 5.5, so even if you have a newer version you should be able to open up the test file and look at how it's built.

Attached is my sample file.

Attachments

• boxTest.zip
    709.5 KB · Views: 276
Hi Dan,
Thanks for your prompt reply and taking time to look into this for me.
The designer gave me a test file and at the mo there is a hundred colours so I don't really want to make a load of vector files or layers as there could be a possibility of more colours not sure what the maximum number you can have in the indesign pallet tho.

I did think that the dingbat font could be an option I'll have a look Monday when I'm back in
Can't belive changing a fill of a box isn't an option if your reading hp add this to future releases !!!

Thanks again for you time Dan its apreaciated
regards
James

I seem to recall reading something where you can specify the color builds in the data as long as it follows a certain naming pattern, so you may not need to add swatches manually.

I'll look at the manual tomorrow and see if I can find where that is.

edit:
Found it! If your data specs the color build using this pattern, color swatches will be added on the fly without you having to do it (just replace "x" with the desired percentage):

C=x M=x Y=x K=x

Last edited:
OK, so that last example worked great at home using CS5.5, but I have a slightly newer version of SS at work using CS6, and that method of spcifying color from the database kept crashing my file. I did look at the manual and found it under "Using database text attributes with advanced rules". If you don't have the manual let me know and I'll post it (it's for the CS6 version).

You can specify colors in the database using digits in CMYK order, separated by a space. It gets a little tricky because 1=100%, 0.5=50%, etc. Remember to put the zero in front of the decimal point, otherwise it doesn't work right. So if you want a color that is 100c/25m/10y/0k, the data would read "1 0.25 0.1 0".

To make it work, you make a Style rule to apply it to the desired text. See screenshot attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 9.49.19 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 9.49.19 AM.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 316
Hi dan
That's brilliant, works a treat. I used the dingbats font with the C=x M=x Y=x K=x method and worked perfectly. It crashed the first time I tried it but when I created the csv file from scratch it worked fine I'm using cs6 and if you could post the manual that would be great
looks like I owe you a pint ! 🍺

It's people like you that makes these forums work.
I'll difinatly keep an eye on this forum for other handy tips
All the best james

Glad it worked for you. I've only recently gotten back into using SmartStream after a 2-year hiatus and the place I'm at now does some fairly complex stuff with it, so if I can help someone else along the way I might pick up a kernel of knowledge here and there for myself!

Here's a link to the manual. It's not the most well-written documentation, but that's HP for you:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33794637/CA294-09530_Designer6.0 User Guide.pdf

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back