HP5000 replacement question

cbanta

Hello,

firstly I'd like to say I'm just the IT guy supporting our print shop, so please do not be afraid to dumb things down, or simplify them, I won't take offence :)

Our print shop uses a HP5000 to print poly plates for use on their AB-Dick single color press. About a year ago the HP5000 they use to print the plates started printing slightly "dirty" prints, I replaced the fuser and had them replace the toner thinking it was possibly the remanufactured toner they were using (they've been using OEM HPx29 cartridges ever since). This worked a few times, but then it got dirty again pretty quickly. I searched for solutions and none of the fixes worked quite right, I believe they then started using their xante color for plates (which worked, but not what they liked to do) I left the organization for several months and came back, and the issue unfortunately wasn't resolved on my return (shucks!). The decision was made to replace the printer, and one of the suppliers our print shop orders from recommended a small shop that refurbs and sells printers, and we ordered an HP5100 from him. We received the printer yesterday, and I really am not too impressed with the product we received (the door panels are pretty yellowed which is cosmetic, but it does make me worry about it). In the process of setting it up, I received some errors which I now believe were due to the extended tray not being compatible between the two models but I also received an 79.00FE error message right off the bat.

When I started looking at support for the machine I found it's out of support and production which scared me and thought we should go with a new model, the Xante salesman recommended a plate maker 6 which seems to be overkill for the <5 or so plates a week they print, and they do print some smaller volume jobs off the machine as well, so it probably isn't a good fit for our needs. Digging through this forum it looks like either the HP5000 or HP5100 are both the go to printer for our job. Would you guys be able to recommend a trusted refurbisher to order a new printer (or if I'm overreacting about this 5100 please tell me) or even some actions to try with the 5000 if you think it would be worth putting some more time and money into it (the machine works fine, it's just the minor dirty prints that create an issue)

Thank you for your time, thoughts, and ideas,
Chris

Chris,
I've attached a PDF of the cleanup sheet I use with very good results. This was not my design, but was suggested to me several years ago and I've used it ever since. When you start to have dirty output run five sheets of 11 x 17 of this page then from manual feed run five more on the reverse side. Then run a paper sample of your plate and check the output. If things are really dirty you may need to run another set of cleanup sheets but this would be very rare.
I hope this helps.
Gary

Attachments

• Cleanup Sheet:HP 5000.pdf
    1.3 KB · Views: 238
Awesome I've forwarded it on to our print shop people, and will keep my fingers crossed!
Thanks Gary,
Chris

Hp 5000 & 5100

Hp 5000 & 5100

We will support anything you need for the HP's - both of which will make excellent poly plates. Welch Industries - 770-474-1150.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back