I’m looking for a digital printer that can print on wider banner than 13 inch.

Canada

I’m looking for a digital printer that can print on wider banner than 13 inch. I would have to be able to print on paper more than 350 gsm. I don’t have a huge budget. Do you think it’s possible?

The big boy digital presses can print on larger sheets The HP Indigo says it can do 29" x 20" up to an 18pt.

If it is just for one offs then I would see what wide format options are out there.

I think MGI makes a press that will do wider than 13”. Wouldn’t have the first clue on reliability or anything though.

You might be able to get a used iGen. When you said your budget wasn't that big, I would have thought you meant $5,000 - $10,000. With that being said I bet there are some iGen 3 or 4's floating around for about that number.

What is the other dimension? You say wider then 13 x what? Really hard to advise without details. Do you need 20" x 70"? smaller? larger? Without details no one can give you real advise.

What is the other dimension? You say wider then 13 x what? Really hard to advise without details. Do you need 20" x 70"? smaller? larger? Without details no one can give you real advise.

yeah, an iGen wouldn't be able to handle longer than 20.5" or I think 26" with an extended package. Also, I don't think they are thinking just 13" x ??....they need wider than 13" to start and then yeah, what is the length?

yeah, an iGen wouldn't be able to handle longer than 20.5" or I think 26" with an extended package. Also, I don't think they are thinking just 13" x ??....they need wider than 13" to start and then yeah, what is the length?

Max size on the iGen 5 is 14.33" x 26" (Not sure about the previous models - I think the iGen 4 was the first extended sheet size model?)

You'd also need the thick material add-on to print anything over 350gsm (although I've gotten away with heavier on ours). I've heard this add-on isn't worth the money - it's clunky and doesn't run great from what I've heard.

Without having any idea on the volume, I'd think with the heavy weight and oversize requirements a wide format machine would be the best bet.

To give you more details about my need. I looking for a size 20x30. I looking to print on 350 gsm paper or higher gsm. My annual volume is around 150 000 sheet.

To give you more details about my need. I looking for a size 20x30. I looking to print on 350 gsm paper or higher gsm. My annual volume is around 150 000 sheet.

Wide format or offset then with those specs. Although I feel like the volume is pretty high to produce with a standard wide format machine. Not sure though, I'm not big into that space.

That is a pretty big size for digital, not sure the iGens go that big. When I googled the HP indigo 3000 the max paper size is 29.5" x 20.8". I would contact HP and see if they have any used machines they are looking to offload with a service contract. Other then that if you are a print house already look for a trade printer and see what prices you get from them.

That is a pretty big size for digital, not sure the iGens go that big. When I googled the HP indigo 3000 the max paper size is 29.5" x 20.8". I would contact HP and see if they have any used machines they are looking to offload with a service contract. Other then that if you are a print house already look for a trade printer and see what prices you get from them.

I agree with this logic. I was thinking an Indigo would be the better path to look at as well. I think they offer the closest thing to an offset press as far as sheet size goes....at least total width and length.

I work with a company in Las Vegas that does extremely nice stuff at large scale (grand format). I manage their website and use them for my own projects, mostly signage. Not sure what exactly you need but you could try them: Altitude Color Technologies

It would also be helpful to know what your average run is. What kind of paper you need to run on, etc. in terms of what technology will work best - laser vs inkjet. Are these actually banners, signage, packaging, etc.?

Assuming you don't need glossy paper I would look at the Xante Excelagraphix 4800. It uses memjet heads to print 48" wide up to 96" long at about 165 inches per minute. It will print any cover thickness up to 5/8" corrugated carton. Price is about 100k. You might find an earlier model used for much less. It is commonly used for packaging, store posters and signage, and pocket folders. It is hand feed but with a little hacking you could probably rig a feeder to it. You can run your 20x30 long edge feed in about 7.5 seconds.

I’m looking for a digital printer that can print on wider banner than 13 inch. I would have to be able to print on paper more than 350 gsm. I don’t have a huge budget. Do you think it’s possible?

I think you would need a wide format printer, and if the purpose you need it for is a one time work, I would suggest getting it done from a printing company.

I think MGI makes a press that will do wider than 13”. Wouldn’t have the first clue on reliability or anything though.

The current MGI presses are based on Konica Minolta engines. They do not do wider than 13". They are developing a new inkjet press that will be a B1 sheet size...but that's going to be well over his $200k budget. Someone else mentioned the Xerox iGen...which you could find used on the market within your budget, but it maxes out at 14.33 x 26 inches. The HP Indigo is going to be the closest to your size requirement, but at your budget, you would need to look for a used one, or lease a new one instead. Your volume is quite low though for a press of this caliber. It's meant to run your annual volume in one month. You might consider an auto feeding flatbed inkjet printer. There are some fast ones on the market like this one: https://vanguarddigital.com/products/vps1400-single-pass-uv-printing-press

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back