I don't intend to be here forever.. what I really want to do is -

che.c

I've been working as a digital dogsbody for about a year and a half now, and although the job is challenging (medium gray halftone, baah not a problem) and has satisfaction (you want it when?!) I sure as hell know that I don't want to be doing it in ten years time! I'm pretty sure the stress would have turned me into a xenophobic twitching mass of expletives and sarcasm by then anyway..

Just wondering how many people feel the same way and how many ended up getting stuck in the print trade? It seems to be a pretty common affliction locally, workers never meaning to end up 40 with a beer gut, two kids and a mortgage, still tapping away at a computer screen. Or in my case, when I'm 40, beer gut, two kids, a mortgage and with a direct neural connection to an automated printing/finishing/robotic delivery line (that's an SJDF workflow - Skulljack Job Definition Ticket)

Myself, I'm going for piloting (driving planes = better than running photocopiers) and if all goes to plan should be tearing around in the clouds in slightly under five years.

Anyone got any interesting stories about ambitions realised or fallen by the wayside?

I wanted to be King of Pop, but it didn't pan out, though I hear there's going to be an opening soon...... Really though, when I think of all I could be doing, prepress isn't so bad. At least it's not ditch digging, car sales or fast food. Plus it's a good steady job with decent benefits that is nice to have because the wife has her own business that I do website and marketing materials design for and she's getting ready to launch a book. I'm hoping that will take off so we can realize our dream of her doing speaking gigs and book signings and me staying at home with the dogs and buying and working on our dream craftsman home......

(see attached .jpg of my dream)

Attachments

• 800px-Craftsmanhouse.jpg
    800px-Craftsmanhouse.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 193
  • InteriorWood3small.jpg
    InteriorWood3small.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 175
  • craftsman.jpg
    craftsman.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
I recently left the South Texas market after about 15+ years and decided it's time to finish my degree and pursue my career in the medical field. I was in school (junior) when I started a service bureau providing film and scans and thought it would be great, I now wish I had continued on with the medical field. There will never be a shortage of work or for that matter probably little to no layoffs if you are competent at your job. In 3-5 I should have my CRNA certification and when people act like it is a life or death situation it really will be :) Not this artificial sense of disaster that always lurks around every corner in printing when a problem arises or a deadline cannot be met because of issues not related to you at all.

Farewell print industry, I will still lurk and comment though.

I recently left the South Texas market after about 15+ years and decided it's time to finish my degree and pursue my career in the medical field. I was in school (junior) when I started a service bureau providing film and scans and thought it would be great, I now wish I had continued on with the medical field. There will never be a shortage of work or for that matter probably little to no layoffs if you are competent at your job. In 3-5 I should have my CRNA certification and when people act like it is a life or death situation it really will be :) Not this artificial sense of disaster that always lurks around every corner in printing when a problem arises or a deadline cannot be met because of issues not related to you at all.

Farewell print industry, I will still lurk and comment though.

I do not think I could have said it better myself. My dad has helped me with my Bindery since I opened it and he says he has never seen people act like they do in the printing industry. And he has been around the world. I walked away from a Printer in 2007 to never look back and to get into maintenance. I stepped back in and definitely have second thoughts. Too many Gordon Geckos in this industry from my point of view. It all catches up to people somewhere down the road and I have to sleep at night. I took a career test a few years ago and it said Paramedic. The pay stopped me but in a few years that situation should change and I may be able to pursue this and keep my Bindery at a part time level. When I help people I am like a kid in a candy store so that may be what I do for the rest of my life. Just not sure if I can tolerate the attitudes of Printers for the rest of my life. Buts lets see the economy swing and see where it goes from there.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back