I guess we need to start watching what we say (and how we are saying it)

MailGuru

In one of my previous posts under digital print, I did make a comment about the Secret Service, that, may have been construed as a sarcastic remark. If it was recieved that way, I aplogize sincerely. For health reasons, I have rescinded that post - it no longer exists.

According to The Washington Post, the Secret Service is getting quotes on software written to scan social sites and identify posters who make sarcastic remarks.

Here's the link to the story

The Secret Service wants software that detects social media sarcasm. Yeah, sure it will work.

By the way, if you are interested in developing the software for them, the RFQ closes on Monday 6/9/2014 at 5:00 pm

Best

-MailGuru

Last edited:
Since when is making a sarcastic remark a crime? I thought Americans are big on Freedom of Speech and the First Amendment (and rightfully so), so I don't see the problem here... maybe some explanation what you are worried about?

Since when is making a sarcastic remark a crime? I thought Americans are big on Freedom of Speech and the First Amendment (and rightfully so), so I don't see the problem here... maybe some explanation what you are worried about?

@Fatboysmart: Of course we have Fredom of Speech here in America. A lot of blood has been shed to gurantee all Americans that right. HOWEVER, just becuase you can't be incarcerated for taking a stance, making a comment, or disagreeing with the current establishment doesn't mean they can't make your life hell (watch lists, no-fly lists, tax audits, investigations, etc.). Just ask anyone who is in the Tea Party.

Best

-MailGuru

I'd like to know how software can possible detect sarcasm in the written word. Written sarcasm suffers from not being able to see the speaker's facial expressions. It's really not possible in some cases to tell just by the words whether something is written sarcastically or seriously. That's how some fights start in forums. One was being sarcastic, another answers because he thought it was serious. How can a software detect the difference?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back