I need a new B&W machine, opinions on the Titan?

lfelton

I'm considering a new Canon Oce Titan machine (Gemini engine). Any experience out there that you can share? We're doing a technical evaluation of course, but it's good to hear real world experience and what to watch out for!

Our shop has a 6320 and it's a tank.
Pros:
  1. Insanely fast, especially on duplex work
  2. Great front/back registration
  3. Every tray can be an insert tray, so it's great for jobs with mixed b&w and color.
  4. PrismaSync controller is super easy to use.
  5. Most of the maintenance is simple and if you keep up on it you'll practically never see your techs
  6. High quality stacker (I would say it's a must have option)
Cons:
  1. Prints are lighter than some fuser machines. It looks closer to offset, but sometimes people want those super rich dark blacks.
  2. Doesn't have a fuser, so sometimes toner can pick off. It can also scuff somewhat easily.
  3. Can't do 13x19 (although maybe the newer models can?)
  4. If you run 8.5x11 almost exclusively you will sometimes get lines on 12x18 prints. It's generally easy to clean, but annoying.
  5. It has an option for additional fusers, but they are absolute garbage. Ours only caused jams and needed constant fixing. We ended up just taking them off. If you need scuff resistant output you might need to look at different equipment.

I'm considering a new Canon Oce Titan machine (Gemini engine). Any experience out there that you can share? We're doing a technical evaluation of course, but it's good to hear real world experience and what to watch out for!
Hi LFelton, The Titan is a real beast and eats paper. It's the most reliable digital device I have ever known. However, be mindful that it's intended for short-run book production. The low fusing temperature makes for little curl and ripple. The lack of electrophotography makes for little or zero static, so the output feeds well in any finisher or inserter. The vacuum feed makes it nearly impossible to jam. It isn't, however, suitable for over-printing due to the CopyPress technology. Also, it's instant duplex makes for expensive and slow simplex, but most high volume mono is indeed duplex.
Is your Nuvera on it's last legs? Are you not sold on the Ricoh 8000 mono device?

Our shop has a 6320 and it's a tank.
Pros:
  1. Insanely fast, especially on duplex work
  2. Great front/back registration
  3. Every tray can be an insert tray, so it's great for jobs with mixed b&w and color.
  4. PrismaSync controller is super easy to use.
  5. Most of the maintenance is simple and if you keep up on it you'll practically never see your techs
  6. High quality stacker (I would say it's a must have option)
Cons:
  1. Prints are lighter than some fuser machines. It looks closer to offset, but sometimes people want those super rich dark blacks.
  2. Doesn't have a fuser, so sometimes toner can pick off. It can also scuff somewhat easily.
  3. Can't do 13x19 (although maybe the newer models can?)
  4. If you run 8.5x11 almost exclusively you will sometimes get lines on 12x18 prints. It's generally easy to clean, but annoying.
  5. It has an option for additional fusers, but they are absolute garbage. Ours only caused jams and needed constant fixing. We ended up just taking them off. If you need scuff resistant output you might need to look at different equipment.
You're spot on about the stacker. You'd need an operator tied to the machine otherwise. The Black is actually very dark grey, isn't it? The low fusing temperature means the toner isn't in the paper rather on top of it. We've had situations where finishing operators have scuffed the prints with rings, watches and bracelets. I don't think the PRISMAsync controller could handle PPML (variable data) formats but that could have been resolved. It's a superb machine if the limitations don't cause any issues.

I have never personally used a Cannon oce Titan. However Iv'e heard they are good. I do have years of experience working with Ricoh and Xerox. I have a Ricoh Pro 8120 and C9210. I used a Xerox 1000 for many years as well. I personally recommend Ricoh for B&W to meet basic to advanced printing needs.

"Also, it's instant duplex makes for expensive and slow simplex,"

Why slow simplex?? Same sheet throughput simplex or duplex.

Service tech. It's a fantastic machine. Toner is actually in the paper. The system works by heating the paper, opening the fibers then pressing toner into it. You can check this by folding the paper in a black area. On a fixing roller machine, toner will crack leaving the white paper showing. On the copypress system it doesn't. This is less noticeable now that most machines have gone to a wax based toner. Other systems work by melting and pressing toner onto paper. The reason it scuffs, as described by oce, is because fixing rollers smashing toner onto paper gives a flatter top to the fixed image. (This would be on a microscopic level). I'm not 100% convinced of that, but eh. You can also get a wax based toner that isn't supposed to scuff as easily. You'd have to ask specifically about it. The thing will just run. Biggest problem I've run into is people don't replace them. They don't need to. 15 years and over 400 million prints on, I still get upset if it only went a million prints between calls.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back