If you have $27k cash and want to buy a used machine, What is your best bet?

If you join the NAQP and you can buy a new C6000 for a few thousand higher and get a much lower CPC for the service contract

QUOTE=Kennn;164254]Los Angeles County
[/QUOTE]

WOW!!! Thank you for information. I just called them up and YES CPC is a lot cheaper.
thank thank thank
but rep will come in for machine price tho. hope it is not too expensive :(

Laminate

Laminate

It's that they can't be laminated, it's just you may have to use more expensive material.

I'm not trying to fix machine by myself but service contract or call tech when machine is broken.
This is my 1st machine so I don't know which is better or cheaper idea.
there are two companies who I talked to
1. higher machine price but cheaper contract service - 6cents color and 1cent b/w for all sizes, all included but paper.
2 cheaper machine price but contract service is 10cents color and x cent b/w for all sizes, all included but paper..... this guy said he have to charge higher because some customers are seller his toners on the side.

I would not do business with someone that would pass the cost of someone elses dishonesty on to me. He should be able to manage the amount of toner being used to the amount being shipped. It's not rocket sience.

A lower cost per copy will save you a lot of money in the long run!

Last edited:
Can anyone reccomend a type of laminate for prints from a 6500?

We do wet laminating, i.e. the laminate has the glue applied during the lamination. If we leave prints to "dry" for up to 24 hours we have no problem laminating Konica (C352 and C 451 and I don't see why not C6500) and Xerox both with and without fuser oil (DC3535, Dc12 and DC2060).

And it's so much cheaper than hot lamination even if it is messy and you waste quite a few sheets starting up (those sheets don't have to be your "job")

Just a word on service contracts

Just a word on service contracts

My tech was out yesterday just to do some cleanup on my KM 1050 and I overheard his phone conversation with someone who needed his help but had no service contract. He said it was $250 just to go there, then $190 per hour with a two hour minimum. The part she needed was over $500 so she'd have to spend over $1000 for just ONE service call.

I would never, never, never consider purchasing a machine without a service contract. These are machines that have their problems and when you need help, the added stress of additional $1000s of dollars spent for one call can be devastating.

By the way, I love my C6501 with Creo RIP. Only two jams in two months, and those were a piece of cake. Of course, my runs aren't real high right now, but it's doin' its job.

Cathie

Forgot to add that - service contract is a no-brainer unless you are made of $$$. After a few calls on your dime, you would beg your current vendor to do prints for $2 a sheet ;)

we have 4 copy centers running an assortment of KM machines.
Service contract is the ONLY way to run these as they DO break frequently, though they are work horses.

ALSO!!!
Avoid the C6500 like the plague! there is a MAJOR flaw with the imaging system that they fixed in the C6501. it causes huge color variance on the SAME sheet, and there is no fix. my techs have replaced pretty much the entire guts of the machine and it was better for a few weeks, and went to hell again. after fighting with this issue for over 3 years, my tech finally admitted to me last month that Konica Corporate FINALLY acknowledged that it's a problem. though good luck getting anyone else to admit it to you.

when searching for who to buy through/get service from shop around, and talk to their current customers. Most places with have new AND used to sell you and the prices for the exact same machine will be all over the place at the different places. Price is only part of it though, make sure you read all the fine print on your consumables contract, also make sure you talk to current customers to find out how their techs are. Bad service techs can almost be WORSE than saving a few bucks a month.

My tech was out yesterday just to do some cleanup on my KM 1050 and I overheard his phone conversation with someone who needed his help but had no service contract. He said it was $250 just to go there, then $190 per hour with a two hour minimum. The part she needed was over $500 so she'd have to spend over $1000 for just ONE service call.

I would never, never, never consider purchasing a machine without a service contract. These are machines that have their problems and when you need help, the added stress of additional $1000s of dollars spent for one call can be devastating.

By the way, I love my C6501 with Creo RIP. Only two jams in two months, and those were a piece of cake. Of course, my runs aren't real high right now, but it's doin' its job.

Cathie

thank you for all the advices. after I read here I think I might want to go with new machine w/ 0% APR that they have going on right now and keep my $ for cashflow.
there are 2 companies that I'm interesting at now.
-first one is from NALP member discount - click is 0.009 higher but 3 yrs locked with staples.
-2nd is from local broker - click 0.009 cheaper but annual up to 10%+ on click with no staples.
machine price are about the same for c6000

how expensive is staple for c6000 btw?

Last edited:
Thank You for all the helps.
I am going for new machine from KM model c6000, a simple reason is the 0% APR for 36months
I hope I make the right choice. signing the contract in two days.

Hi Kennn, how are you? I was reading trough this post and decided to put my 4 cents in.
You mentioned that you make some menues, etc...
I went from being copier service engineer working for Toshiba to own my company, opened a copycenter and went offset shortly after.
Look, your jobs, if they aren't now, they will soon become more complex with bleeds and multiple ups, etc. If you holding a descent budget, and I believe you are at least for start Y would get:
I KM C6500 with descent paper supply and stacker to print flat sheets. I can get you one with near 1mil with fiery for under $15000, get a contract, lets imagine KM will charge you another $3000 to bring it up to speed and be eligible for Service contract. It is near $18k still good
A paper cutter
A folder (must be air fed)
Small UV coater as there is nothing like it, it is fast, productive and you can apply various coatings with it - consult your local graphic arts chemist for possibilities.
Watch out for Printing plant auctions - you can get some nice finishing equipment for really reasonable price.

I am sure folks here may correct me or point out better alternatives but thats what we're here for :) Everyone's opinion is unique- see what works for you.

Hi Kennn, how are you? I was reading trough this post and decided to put my 4 cents in.
You mentioned that you make some menues, etc...
I went from being copier service engineer working for Toshiba to own my company, opened a copycenter and went offset shortly after.
Look, your jobs, if they aren't now, they will soon become more complex with bleeds and multiple ups, etc. If you holding a descent budget, and I believe you are at least for start Y would get:
I KM C6500 with descent paper supply and stacker to print flat sheets. I can get you one with near 1mil with fiery for under $15000, get a contract, lets imagine KM will charge you another $3000 to bring it up to speed and be eligible for Service contract. It is near $18k still good
A paper cutter
A folder (must be air fed)
Small UV coater as there is nothing like it, it is fast, productive and you can apply various coatings with it - consult your local graphic arts chemist for possibilities.
Watch out for Printing plant auctions - you can get some nice finishing equipment for really reasonable price.

I am sure folks here may correct me or point out better alternatives but thats what we're here for :) Everyone's opinion is unique- see what works for you.

Thank you for your 4 and a half cents :)
I ran into some problem, it wasn't 0% $1 buyout as I thought It was.
it is 0% 36months and FMV. I might have to go with used 6500.
you said something about Stacker, What do you mean by to print flat sheet? what does it do?
I bought a folder, it was my 1st equipment. I love it even it is a table top ( 714xlt )
I don't know anything about coater, can you point me to right direction?

How do I find out about Print plant auctions?

Thanks

Well lets go 1 by 1 :)
>>>>Stacker / finisher is the device that attached to your printer/copier and collects printed media, normally allowing you to hold few thousand sheets before paper has to be removed, meaning - you can send the job to print and go have coffee and/or cigarette rather than stand by high-speed machine and take out every few hundred sheets that come out. I really ment that don't overspend on fancy finishing options as they can do only so much with paper that comes out of machine exclusively. When business grows-up and lets imagine - you will have other means to print things such (duplicator, b/w machine, etc.) this options will be useless, where separate machines can be used for everything.
>>>>Coater... UV Coating - Google it to read about it from someone who's most likely a native english speaker or typer in our case. It is superglossy coating you've seen on business cards, post cards, menus. It will save you from spine cracking somewhat when folded and will give products more professional look - it, most likely, must not be glossy but when coated - printed products look much better. They have portable machines these days for reasonable prices.
>>>>>Only thing I learned - KM-6500 has some unique toner properties that most of UV coating don't adhere to properly. They have learn to over power this as of now but to be on the safe side - if you go for coater discuss it with your potential chemistry provider and make sure he/she has formulas for KM-c6500 machine.
>>>>>Auctions.. Hmmm in google type "printing equipment auctions" spend some time sorting jusnk and BS out. Actioneers such "Thomas actions" do have some real deals. Let me put some links for you... Watch in the next auction you and I will be fighting for the same item LOL, rocking up each other's the price LOL

Live Online Webcast Auctions, Real-time Bidding | Proxibid�
Quaker City Auctioneers, Inc.
QicBid.com
ThomasActions.com - I think
Please note that these are not Printing industry dedicated so they may not have our staff for auction all the time - register, check, eventually something will come-up. Good things take a little time to wait.
We have just purchased most of the contents of "Alfagraphics" place in white plains, NY

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back