Illustrator CS5 Ruler Orgin Finally!!

prepressguru

Hey Gang I haven't gotten my hands on the new CS5 but have been checking out the reviews. As I was reading the Illustrator one this little gem appeared on Macworld.

For those who have long asked, “Why must the Y (vertical) axis begin at the bottom of the artboard,” you’ll be pleased to know that Illustrator finally matches the rest of the Creative Suite in putting its default ruler origin–the X and Y zero point–in the top-left instead of the old bottom-left methodology.

Holy moly!! Can anyone verify if it is true.

p

To my way of thinking it would have been far more preferable to have the other applications conform to the Illustrator parading, which is the postscript parading. There is something fundamentally screwy with the idea that moving down the Y axis yields increasing positive values. But most of you will probably disagree.

Al

I just noticed that small feature yesterday when placing an object at what used to be the 0'0' origin, only to have it pop off the page, and then noticed where the 0 was on the ruler!

it's about time!

Looking over the rest of the new features I am quite impressed over all with the improvements. The drawing modes, improved artboards and the variable strokes. Now to get the upgrade request approved.

@al yes I will have to disagree with you. But maybe they have a preference for this option if you want to work the old way.

p

I am not strongly advocating one over the other at this point in time. I realize that we are millions of users word wide that have grown up in desktop publishing with the parading you are more comfortable with. My point was that the postscript parading makes much more sense. Why not have X values decrease as we advance to the right along that axis? Would that feel more comfortable?

Al

I can certainly see both points of view: Al's right, from a geometric standpoint, it doesn't make any sense to have the Y value increase as the element moves down the page. But from a utility standpoint, I'm much more interested in the element's dimensional relationship to the top of the page [where we start reading] than to the bottom. Yet the most basic fact is that to have one origin in ID and the opposite in AI was the one way the system didn't work, so I'm glad that it is now at least consistent.

joe

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back