Import JDF Spot Colors XMF

resolve

I am trying to import spot colours from metrix jdf into XMF through a drop folder template.

This is purely for the trim lines that Metrix adds at the export stage. When exported, the pdf flat that contains the trim lines that is associated with the jdf file still has the spot colours present. When that jdf file is imported into XMF the trim lines are converted to process, this making them basically useless as they cannot be separated from the art.

I know these lines can be added using the ROOM proof function, but that acts as a RIP and therefore slows down our workflow by about half. My goal is to remove the ROOM proof function from our workflow completely.

And yes I have created a special spot colour in the Metrix database to use for these lines.

Maybe the naming of the spot colour is critical. (Like the Fuji:Spot1 etc. that is used for the auto mapping for the colour bar).

may be the pdf doesn't have spot color in jdf and spot color exits only for crop marks. pl try to keep some spot color on pdf and make jdf and import in xmf and try.

I would normally say RTFM, but sounds like you are one of the rare birds that already does this sort of thing - so, I guess it is "complain to the vendor(s)" - while two people may indeed agree on how to represent a spot color in a PDF, in JDF - it the Schema is often not a clear, so two vendors might be using different tags or approaches. I had a heck of a time getting 5 vendors consume and properly process something much simpler ( a tray pull ) via JDF years ago, so, while you might "hope" that JDF is a 'standard' - it is really up for interpretation ( yes, pun intended )

RTFM???
Thanks for the response michaelejahn, sounds like you have delved a bit deeper into this sort of thing.

Yes I have my doubts about jdf as well, but I'm sure there will be a way to make this happen, as the auto mapping spot colours work fine with our colour bar.

Hopefully Fuji will have some answers, I won't be holding my breath.

may be the pdf doesn't have spot color in jdf and spot color exits only for crop marks. pl try to keep some spot color on pdf and make jdf and import in xmf and try.

Thanks, by adding the mark spot colour to the every "artwork" pdf makes the the spot colour show up in xmf once the pdf has been added, which in turn recognizes the trim lines.

Thanks again that's what I wanted.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back