importing AS400 formated text into InDesign?

We just upgraded from CS2 to CS4, and we can no longer run in "classic mode," which leaves me in a dilemma. We are using an AS400 data base. Before CS4, I would translate the text on the AS400, which has embedded formats. Then I would take the file it produced and import it into a Quark 4.3 document with stlyesheets. The text would flow-in with the correct font and size. Then, I would take that .qxd file and open it in InDesign CS2.

Now, I'm looking for a way to do this in Quark 7.3 or InDesign CS4. Quark locks-up when I click on the file, and InDesign will flow-it, but all the encoded formats also come over. So, I would have alot of coding to get rid of. Not too worried about the format, but would love to figure out how to get the text without all the coding. (Example: @Grp:<f”Goudy”>@#$ <z7>18<\q><\q><\q> <z7><K>Clothes Bar<P><\q><\q><\q> <$><*p(0,0,0,0,0,0,0)><f”Lucica Sans”>Vinyl-covered; All this should be is "Clothes Bar Vinyl-covered")

Does anyone know of a plugin/script for InDesign that would allow me to retrieve this AS400 text? Or even a Quark solution. I thought Quark might be having issues with the lack-of extension on the file, but I'm not sure what extension the AS400 text file would require.

Would appreciate any insight into this problem.
Thanks in advance!
Kirsten

As400

As400

We run on a AS400 for all our daily work. We can run a query from AS400 and download it into a excel or word document, make your font changes. Then you could import it from there.

Thanks Tommy! I did try this, but I still get all of the embedded coding.
I just found out from our IT dept. that this formatted text can only be translated on a Mac, so they are going to re-issue my old Mac for this particular project, which will solve my immediate problem. However, I still would like to figure out another alternative. When you go into Word or Excel, how do you import the text? Do you just open the text or import it? Maybe that makes a difference.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back