Impose...Same fronts...Unique backs

ridety

Okay...so I'm sure this is super simple for some of you pros out there...

I need to take .pdfs from my customer (i.e. 500 unique pages) and add the same front to all...and duplex.

Or to say differently, I need to add a common front to a multipage .pdf...

What do you guys think is the best approach here?

I'm guessing I need imposition software like Quite Imposing or Crackerjack...but maybe not...

P.s.- I'll be printing the files on my new Xerox 700...(embedded fiery)...

Thanks in advance for any assistance you might offer, as I've got to figure out the best approach soon.

I'll be sure to try and contribute to this forum in the future if I can be of assistance to others!

Impostrip Econo Edition with hot folders is what you need

Impostrip Econo Edition with hot folders is what you need

Hi,

I suggest we show you our automated solution where you'll be able to do this job, and all your other jobs automaticaly and shoot them to your 700.

You can download a FREE version to test on our web site:
DEMO Request Form

Let me know directly if you want a live demo.
Best,

Ray Duval
Ultimate Technographics Inc.

Is there any reason you can't just print the common side, reload the paper, then print the unique side? Unless the common side is fairly simple, that would probably reduce the time spent processing the file (by you and the RIP/printer), and save some hard drive space too.

If you have to make a PDF that alternates between successive pages from a muti-page PDF and repetitions of a single page PDF, here's a way:

Extract the pages from the multi-page PDF with Acrobat as separate files (Document, Extract Pages) which Acrobat will name by appending a number to the end of the original file name (e.g., Document 1.pdf, Document 2.pdf, etc.). Open your common page PDF and duplicate the page until you have 500 pages. To do this, in the pages panel, select the page, hold down command or control, drag to copy. You'll then have 2 pages. Then select the 2 pages and copy those. You'll then have 4 pages. By repetition (8, 16, 32...) you'll get to 512. Delete the last 12 (if you really need exactly 500). Then save that document with exactly the same name as the multi-page PDF (in a different directory/folder). Extract the pages of that PDF to a new directory. You will then have two directories containing 500 files with the same names (one directory containing the unique pages and one containing redundant copies of the common page). From a Windows command line (cmd.exe), cd to the directory containing whichever files you want on the back side. Make sure you are in the directory containing only the relevant files. If the document name was Document.pdf, the files are named Document 1.pdf, Document 2.pdf, etc. Type "ren * *." without the quotation marks and press return. Then "ren * *a.pdf" and press return. The files should now have an "a" after the number. Combine the files from the two directories into one. In Acrobat, choose File, Create PDF, From Multiple Files. Select all 1000 files, and Acrobat should automatically order them 1, 1a, 2, 2a, etc. You may want to add leading zeroes to the filenames before combining them, otherwise the files numbered 1-99 will have to be shuffled around a bit.

Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense. The batch rename should be simple in Linux also, but the Mac appears to lack a decent rename command, requiring a shell script to rename the files.

Last edited:
Got to agree with Kyle. Sounds like you're over thinking the work required. There is no need for any software purchase. Sorry, no offense meant.

Yes, you can use Quite Imposing Plus just dup the same front 500 (easily done in QIP) then use Shuffle even/odds No: 4. Shuffle odds from doc 1 (your 500 same docs) and Evens from doc 2 (your unique pages).
Then print.

You can download a Demo version from Quite at Home
Let us know if it works out for you.

cheers,
Charles

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back