Impostion software

markb

Hello, we use Quite Imposing Plus for imposition. We have Rampage and are looking over Enfocus Switch + Ptistop Server for some automation in the near future.

One piece of the workflow puzzle we need to upgrade is imposition. We have some staff that know PREPS and we have EFI Pace, so Metrix is something to check out.

Outside of Preps and Metrix, what other imposition solutions can:

1. impose + allow for simple elements outside the crops on the press sheet template like an black bar graphic for an optical scanner on an automatic business card cutting machine

2. export JDF for Rampage / other systems like Enfocus Switch

3. Be lower cost than Preps or Metrix

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:
Hi Markb,

Different solutions are available on the market.
In our case, we develop Impostrip and we partner with different finishing equipment manufacturers such as Morgana (CardXtra Plus), Duplo (DC646, 745, etc.), etc. We are also an Enfocus Switch partner with a Configurator.

If you want to look at the different version we offer, please contact me directly.
Regards,
Ray Duval
Ultimate TechnoGraphics

Watch what happens with Pace. I do tech support for EFI Metrix and am very familiar with what you are trying to do. Give me a call at 972-638-7490. All things are possible, the question is what is probable. We probably have what you need and want already running in live production.

25 years ago when imposition programs were very expensive and not very easy to use, I used Quark Express and Pagemaker.
I did the 8 page signatures in Quark, put the standard book size 4 up on each page in the right order.
The book was edited in Pagemaker, and at that time only PageMaker could generate batch eps files of each pages and give names using numbers, so it was a batch operation. I saved the whole book in a folder, and could with a few keystroke replace the dummy pages in Quark.

The laser type setter I used was 300 mm wide, so I could print the whole book on polyester (silver) masters, which I used in a Royobi PFA, Printing prima and secunda in one go. Book on hundreds of pages, could be printed in short run.

I had to fold and assemble the signatures, and make perfect binding.

The system used common on that time was Printing each pages on negative films, spend hours on the light table, and copy aluminium plates for a A2 one color press.

Now I print the book on a faster copier I do it 4 up, cut the pile in 4 sections and can deliver a book in four copies if demanded.

My shop is small and I work alone.

Last edited:
Next week (May 19th–23rd, we are holding a week long on-line trade show (Enfocus Virtual Safari) with two different sessions on automated imposition, as well as several sessions on automation with Switch.

One of the imposition sessions is on Tuesday at 2pm (US Eastern time) and the other is Thursday at 11am. You can check out the full schedule and sign up for any sessions you'd like at the following link.

Enfocus Virtual Safari.

It's all free and a great chance to see many solutions and ask questions directly from various vendors and integrators. :)

We hope to see you there!
Michael Reiher
Product Manager and Safari Guide

Just a quick note: IMHO Ask your staff if they know Preps v6 or version5. Preps 6 is totally different than 5 and has a learning curve similar to learning another new imposition software.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back