In Need Of A Dongle or Some Advice

CalacosPrint

I recently bought a 2003 Heidelberg Prosetter 74 running a MetaDimension 6.1v RIP with an auto loader and a Agfa 68 Raptor I believe (unit is now in my printing facility in Mexico) when I inspected the unit everything was working and they were running a job anyways when I got the unit the previous owners kept the dongle something about Heidelberg using that dongle to run their new unit anyways long story short until I can resolve this issue with them I need a way to run my Prosetter. I tried Heidelberg and they gave me this crap about having to buy a brand new RIP which runs something like 9 grand any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated Thanks

We do not sell the MetaDimension RIP software, but we do sell new Harlequin RIP software for the Prosetter 74. You can find out more about the Prosetter RIP-Kit on the following page:
Heidelberg Prosetter RIP Workflow for Heidelberg Prosetter 52, 74, 104 Software Harlequin RIP

If you are interested in purchasing a used software package, we may have some used Harlequin RIPs available that would be able to drive that particular device. If you would like a customized quote please let us know.

Thanks,
RTI
Harlequin RIP, Harlequin RIPs, Software RIP, NEW! Harlequin Software RIP Version 9

The reason the system "worked" was that at launch, the software application looks to see if the dongle is plugged in and if it finds that dongle and the licence key, it will run the software, it will allow the software to launch.

If you do not have the dongle plugged in, the software will not launch.

So, technically, you may have purchased the hardware, but (perhaps) the folks that sold this to you were not clear to you that they were not actually selling you the software - and while they may have included the computer with the software installed on it, but it will never work without the dongle.

So, yes, this is why "the previous owners kept the dongle something about Heidelberg using that dongle to run their new unit"

They may have purchased some new hardware, but did not need to buy the software they already owned (which requires a dongle to launch and run )

So, you have several choices - you can fire the person who did this deal because the did not ask enough questions, or - if that is you, you can sue the criminals that misled you and didn't explain that you bought something that needs a dongle to run it ( but didn't sell you that as part of the deal, basically selling you a boat anchor )...

Or - stop shopping for software. I would contact

Bret Farrah <[email protected]> - they sell prepress software solutions, perhaps he has one for you that is less than 9k

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back