Internal cleaning / maintenance (hp z3100 or similar z-series)

FlightDeck

Hi all,

I searched the manual and the threads here and not coming up with much info on the internal cleaning of my 24" z3100. I recently began getting dark ink gobs/streaks on the top edges and backs of some prints. The bottom of the MK-R printhead was found covered with ink gunk (with a small amount of it hardened), as was the area around it in the printhead carriage. On the other end of the carriage, the E-G printhead also had some gunk on and around it, just not as much. I manually cleaned these two printheads, haven't yet checked the rest.

I also found some ink gobs on one of the rollers, on a couple of ribs and black foam on the platen(?), and on the paper output tray (I cleaned all of these off).

Under where the printhead carriage "parks" I see some kind of pad covered in ink (see photos), with a buildup of gunk on the far righthand edge. I'm not sure how much of this is normal.

The printer is limited home use only, with just over 300 sq ft printed. I assume the light use (long idle times) are actually part of the problem, and I should exercise the printer more often.

1. How can I remove the printhead carriage so that I can clean the underside more effectively?
  2. Does anything in the area around the printhead carriage's parking spot require cleaning? It looks nasty...
  3. What can I do to reduce the accumulation of ink gunk around the printheads?

Also shown in the photos are lots of white/grey bits of debris. These were mentioned in another thread of mine a couple years ago (http://printplanet.com/forums/wide-format-inkjet-discussion/20862-debris-hp-z3100-prints), as they have plagued me since day one. It appears that the printer somehow makes this debris. It doesn't appear to be paper. More like bits of dried glue? At least now I can see them inside and can vacuum them out, but it would sure be nice to prevent them in the first place, they have ruined far too many prints.

Thanks and regards,

Attachments

• IMG_1648k.jpg
    IMG_1648k.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_1649k.jpg
    IMG_1649k.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_1651k.jpg
    IMG_1651k.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_1653k.jpg
    IMG_1653k.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 264
Thanks Peter. My understanding is that there are two maint cartridges, and hp's claim is neither is user-serviceable. I don't know where they are, can you see them in one of my photos? Have you changed these before? (Which model(s) do you operate?)

Thanks and regards,

I actually have a Z6200 so it is different from yours. I can only presume that it is in picture 1, where the printheads sit

Okay thanks. I managed to find a copy of hp's z2100/3100 service manual on line with the complete disassembly instructions (it also explains how to access all the special services menus/commands that aren't available on the regular front panel display).

Rather than do a disassembly though, I instead cleaned that area in photo 1 by swabbing the excess ink and gunk with tissue wrapped around a thin stick. There was a lot of it built up but since it was all still liquid it was relatively easy to wipe up, just a bit time consuming. I accessed the area by selecting a printhead change to get the printhead carriage out of the way.

I also got rid of a hard dried lump of ink that was on the bottom of the red/matte black printhead. That lump appeared to be the main culprit in the ink streaks on the start of a print. I think it was picking up wet ink from the mess in the parking spot, and then dragging it across the paper at the start of a print.

I plan to periodically check the underside of the printheads, cleaning as needed, as well as that parking area on the right, to keep things from building up again so badly... I hope!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back