Is it just Ricoh or is heat sticking sheets together (blocking) same for others

thebluesdude

Hi guys, just about to sign for a couple of new boxes and I came across a few reports of the faster machines not cooling quick enough and the wax toner causing sweating and then sticking of sheets in delivery, rendering them usless? We were told by sales guys that the buffer unit will remove any chance of this but I personally am getting fed up of this industry conning us all. How many other areas in life can you be sold something that promises so much, deliver so little and then leaves you holding the baby whilst they move on to the next latest box that has fixed all the problems we have field tested for them. This email isnt a rant, I am speaking from experience and as someone who has lost to the courts challenging a 5 year lease for a really bad Konica machine that couldnt produce sellable sheets and ending up still paying for the courts decision 7 years later. Basically a £30,000 for nothing as they took the machine as well. Anyway end of rant I am trying to find out if any of you guys have had any problems with blocking, jamming or anything else?? you are of course free to rant too. Its a shame we cant find a common voice to fight some of these cases.

Sorry to hear about your problems with Konica. Their support and sales in UK are nothing but a disgrace. We've had so many issues with them where their machines couldn't produce a saleable print and instead of fixing the units they just made up completely random excuses. At one point they even said that the machines (a c7000 & c6000) weren't capable of printing onto coated stocks so we can only use uncoated!!! I have a friend with a similar print business to mine and they told him his machine was 'warped' due to his usage after 2 years (750,000 clicks) and refused to repair it...after a lot of arguing with them they found there was a loose connection on one of the boards - 2 months later!

We're now looking to get Konica out of our business and looking at the Versant 2100 and Ricoh C7100. Had demos on both and both seem very capable, albeit I was hoping with this next generation banding on solids would be completely eliminated but alas you can still see it, more on the Ricoh than the Xerox. The Versant though when printing runs of full coverage solid colour lost quality after around 20 sheets (on 350gsm uncoated), it almost looked like the toner was being exhausted and the machine couldn't keep up.

I've also read on here that the Ricoh has heat problems on output, causing 'bricking', therefore I'm going back for a another demo armed with 1,000 sheets of 250gsm silk and see what happens. Will report back. Would be great to hear any feedback from other users.

Last edited:
Hi Hamster, thanks, and sorry to hear of your problems too! To us it's as bad, actually worse than the miss selling of ppi insurance and need to be brought before a legal body. The Ricoh we demoed didn't have a buffer unit fitted which is what they insist will remove the blocking, so had we pushed it I think that would have stuck. However in demo situations you don't feel you can run thousands of sheets do you? I have heard that mainly it's on heavy coverage and more on the mid range stock around 150gsm, but the thicker sheets will sweat as well. Don't get me wrong we have been with Xerox on and off for 15 years and it's been both good and horrific. Both production machines down for a week, six engineers couldn't get them running, blame the environmentals for everything and then find a simple fault. BUT no recompense, free clicks or refund. Cost us over 4 thousand pounds for been down that week. Nature of the business in someways but all we can do is hope things get better as they release the latest all singing all dancing box that when you look closely promises everything that the last box you bought did.....

Can't believe you demoed a C7100 without a buffer unit, I wouldn't recommend anybody using a Pro C to not take that option, be it a C5100, C7100 or C901.

I've never seen a Pro C "bricking" with a buffer unit but plenty without. It's false economy not to buy the buffer unit.

I am a Ricoh technician.

The machine in question was a recent install at their Leeds office, it had just been installed as a base model. We were told not to buy one without the buffer from them I have to say.

Hey Blues. We had a C901 installed about six months ago. At times, both pleasantly surprised and extremely disappointed with this machine. We've transitioned from and Indigo and to be honest, the quality (for the most part) is definitely there. But it's the things that you WILL NOT HEAR from the salesman that you should be concerned with. If they're upfront and recommend the buffer, well, o.k. then. I don't believe we were even presented with that option for the C901, For us, in addition to the bricking, it's the skew. The image just won't print perfectly square. In most cases it's not a problem. But imagine printing a 24 up sheet of 2 sided business cards with very little bleed and a very thin border. Can't be done on this machine and they can't find a fix for it. My supervisor want's me to get answers on why they haven't been able to fix this and he does not want to hear that excuse from the tech that "It's NOT a printing press. It's just a copier."

I have a C7110 that make the block. But I am sure a buffer will somve the problem.
Except for some issues, its the best machine I have seen. I compared to versant 2100 and KM 1085 before I bought.

Thanks guys, I have to say this stinks doesnt it? The buffer / cooling unit shouldn't be an option it should be built in by default. Its not fit for purpose without it, about time legal action was taken against these things, it would be the equivalent of buying a car without a radiator, it would work for short runs but cause problems when overheating?? it just wouldnt happen would it?

Am am not sure how it it everywhere. But I actually think the salesguys didn´t realise I will need a buffer. I had the first machine in Denmark, so its a learning process for both sides. I was willing to take the risk with a brand nre model, with whatever issues it might have. Because I thought its the best machine out there. I looked for quality, registration and think paper.
I am not sure if they are trying to chrage me money for one. If they are, then you are right. Thats like buyng a car without a radiator.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back