Is Microtext useful on offset?

Metehan

As time goes by, print&package companies started to make more value-added businesses to their consumers but also they started to get less profits by doing this jobs. Maybe this less profit problem is global problem and effects all other businesses,too.
In Turkey the pharmacy companies became bigger with all global weddings and now they are trying to buy all supplies with the lowest prices but also they do this with more value-added instruments. Microtext technology is really a new instrument for them and also us in that business. So if any of you have some idea, solution, please share it with me.

Thanks,

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. Usually microtext is used for security printing. Is that what you are talking about?

gordon p

I've seen mictotext produced on an iGen3/4. Is is basically a 2pt font, that has been designed to be legible (with a lupe) at that size. One of the caveats is that it is run from a Xerox FreeFlow Print server connected to a Xerox engine. Never seen it on any other vendor's machine. The microtext font from Xerox is part of the SIF (specialty imaging fonts) that the big X provides.
Outside of te digital world I have seen it on bank notes. I used to have a Dolex 800V2 that was capable of rendering very small detail, especially the type of work used on bank notes. I never used the facility however.

All my searches are in that way,too. But it is really interesting that a costumer sounds this for simple medicine boxes.

Microtext

Microtext

I suggest that you read a book called "Dangerous Doses" by Katherine Eban. There's a lot more money in counterfeiting pharmaceuticals (and their packages) than good old currency. Lot more dangerous for the public too.

I think an Indigo will print more crisp microtext than the toner cloud from an iGenX. Offset would be the most powerful. Forget Ink Jet, drop clouds instead of toner clouds.

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

you are right John.
But when customer believes something it is hard to change. Can give me some info about the microtext technology or how and where to find it ,please.

Thanks,
Metehan

Pharmaceutical counterfeiting is B-I-G money. This is just one (micro-text) way Pharma tries to fight it off. It costs the industry billions of dollars a year, and poses a terrible risks to all consumers world wide. Most CtP devices today are (or can be, not all) capable of imaging micro text. I just recently did a test with a vendor who runs a Kreodak CtP & KBA Rapida 105 and they EASILY print micro text on SBS via offset. There are other methods to such as 'Invisble' inks only seen when hit w/ a UV light source. 2D serialized barcodes, holograms, color shifting inks & varnishes, and Biometric scanning of the stock the piece is printed on... I could go on and on..... Aside from the technologies listed above, there are some extremely simple things you can do w/ the artwork (like hidden elements) that don't require any special technology or readers. You just have to think about it..

We are a custom card manufacturer. We print microtext all the time. We litho print it but will break it on onto a separate plate (if it is in the black, run process and second pass of the micro text). We have printed all the way down to 1/2 pt type. When microtext is printed it will look like a thin line. Look at your Visa card, there is a small line of microtext around the Visa logo. Common practices of microtext also include known mistakes. Security and ID cards will have the repeating type with lower case letters or letters backward. Theory being if someone is trying to copy the Microtext, they will end up copy and repeating what they first see.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back