Is the "Cloud" important to your company?

When I purchase a program such as Adobe CS? I can use it as long as I want until I decide to upgrade, several years perhaps. But with cloud technology, Adobe can force me to upgrade every year or not allow me access to my CS programs unless I do. Of course I am using Adobe as an example but any software supplier out their can us the cloud to drive up operating costs for the end user by forcing us to continually upgrade or be cut off. Am I seeing things right or am I missing something? I can see some benefits but overall I see more expense that otherwise I wouldn't have to pay.

Yes, this a difference. I will not bore you with the "but everyone upgrades eventually" argument. I purchased my car, my wife leases hers. I maintain mine, she droops hers off. To me, that is the best analogy - it is actually that simple. I work for a Saasy Cloudy solution provider. I think it is a great option, but - for sure, I am biased. Looking forward, not sure software "sales" is goes away, but there are elasticity advantages with cloudy solutions.

One of the other problems I see with the cloud is this. Now I have a CD copy of the program that I purchased. This allows me to load it on my laptop and take it anywhere and use it anytime with or without Internet connectivity, and if you live in a rural environment you understand how often Internet connections are not available. Let's say I am out and about one day and the office calls needing me to price a job or give a bid but my estimating program is in the cloud and requires Internet connection to function, and of course I do not have the Internet, which by the way happens a lot. Either I am on vacation or traveling were Internet is not available. How would the cloud in this instance benefit me? I can't speak for all printers but this scenario happens in my area all the time, no Internet connection. Also, concerning upgrading. Now I purchase my programs and have the option of upgrading when I feel the need to or unless the program stipulates a time limit such as Franklin estimator does now. My biggest concern besides the one I've already mentioned is all software companies, after implementing the cloud technology will begin to see or already see the substantial profit boost thru use of this technology by limiting printers and consumers in general to 1 year limit on use then hit us with another cash request to continue to use their software as now i can keep that software and use it for as long as it benefits my company and I decide an upgrade is necessary. Please excuse my sinical outlook but unfortunateley such is the way of many software companies.

One other quick comment about security. I have yet to see any network that is hacker proof. Wow what a target the cloud will be.

I am sure many businesses that depended on stable / reliable power to run their business said the very same things about electricity in the 1860 during the Second Industrial Revolution.

Last edited:
One other quick comment about security. I have yet to see any network that is hacker proof. Wow what a target the cloud will be.
Yes, there are risks. That does not stop me from using my credit card buying things online. There is methods of recourse. BTW - nothing is ever 'secure' - just like when they fax you a PO, and your quote had net 15 terms, but they don't pay for 90 days. ( wink )

Not sure re this statement. It will be important in some areas, W2P etc, but many of my clients would not be comfortable relying on web based solutions for critical workflow areas, re resilience and security issues.

SaaS / Cloud Computing is coming faster than most will believe and much like other technological advancements since the beginning of the industrial age it will have benefits and detriments.

Can you imagine a modern world without Electricity? Phones? Fax? Internet? E-mail? ...

SaaS will be brilliant in the regard of having constantly updated software in a systemic fashion.

Not sure re this statement. It will be important in some areas, W2P etc, but many of my clients would not be comfortable relying on web based solutions for critical workflow areas, re resilience and security issues.

LOL Paul - you are consultant to the cream of the crop.

You mean to tell me they are willing to become irrelevant to a large amount of prospective customers because they are afraid of storefront credit card transactions ?

If that is the case, tell them to use Purchase Orders and only work with existing customers.

Not a good approach to grow your business though...have you seem Mimeo and VistaPrints numbers ? 35% growth per year.

( wink )

BTW -

I purchased my iPad online. I used my iPad to create a Photobook using Pressero and order that on line too.

I am not understanding what "critical workflow areas" means.

Everyone's rushing to the cloud. It's the new panacea, the silver bullet of the moment. But how many are really thinking and understanding what it is, is not, and can do for the end user? Too few, I think.

Unfortunately, the big joke is on us.. just as soon as we retool, buy new licenses and absorb the new lingo out will come the next best thing and we'll be running after the techno fairy dream once again...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back