ISO 12647-2 & Epson 7900

Stussy

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what DeltaE's others are getting when proofing to ISO12647-2 PT1 on the Epson 7900?

After optimizing, I was hoping for much lower values then what I'm seeing via verification(Spectroproofer).

Simulation Profile is set to 'ISOcoated_v2_eci.icc'
Verification is set via ISO12647-7, with characterization data set to 'FOGRA39_MKCheck11.it8'

Can anyone share their DeltaE results?
How often are you re-linearizing?

Cheers,
Stussy

Simulation Profile is set to 'ISOcoated_v2_eci.icc'
Verification is set via ISO12647-7, with characterization data set to 'FOGRA39_MKCheck11.it8'

Just a note that ISO 12647-2 and fogra39 have different aim values for the blue and green overprints, meaning you could hit FOGRA39 within a tight tolerance and still report significant, or even deviant deltas for these two patches.

That said, low delta values toward nearly any standard data set should be achievable on the Epson line depending on paper selection, rip competency and user comfort level.

Thanks Mike.

The 'ISOcoated_v2_eci' profile seems to be just about the same as (rounding up) to the characterization data 'FOGRA39_MKCheck11.it8' - I agree they are different from the ISO spec though.

I have tried with and without referencing the characterization data (instead referencing the simulation profile data only), and am still seeing larger than expected Delta values.

This is via XFv4 and the Epson Spectroproofer btw.

We just did an optimization against Gracol7 with our 7900 using the DTP70 and achieved an average dE of 0.83 ('76). I was at Epson Proofing Edition training last week, and they achieve a typical dE of 0.5 (2000) using Spectroproofer. This seems consistent with our results. These results were well within G7 tolerances.

What kind of numbers are you getting?

Regards,

--Clark

Hi all,

I should point out that we were doing a kind of 'side-grade' here, in that we had an XXL license for the CanonW8400PG, but no XL license which covers the 7900.
I was told that I would be able to use the Epson9900 device setting(via the XXL license) in EFI, but point to the 7900 as a printer.
I know have an XL License, and am seeing big differences. Although not quite down to an average 0.5 dE yet. CMYK average is at 1.28 dE, peak is at 4.32 dE

I'm wondering does anyone optimize the media profile as well as create a LAB correction file? Is there any benefit? Is there an order to which this should be done?

Thanks for any input/response.

Not sure why an XL license would provide more accuracy than an XXL. The 9900 and the 7900 are the same printer from a color perspective. Are you in the U.S. Stussy? If so, I can take this up with EFI tech support if you are interested.

Your peak seems normal. Hard to see a 4dE in dark colors. Your average is a little high. We are used to averages between 0.5 and 1 de ('76) after optimization. Not sure 1.28 is a deal killer if things look fine. How's the grey balance?

Regarding what to optimize, our philosophy is to optimize the Lab correction file. This keeps the original .ICC intact, which we find useful as a control point, particularly in multi-printer environments that we often support.

Feel free to call if you want to discuss further. 415-382-8681.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back