ISO Print Standards

Chief_1975

How do the various ISO standards 12647-2, 12647-3, 12647-4 etc marry up against each other? Forgetting for minute any print process specific restrictions, if I had the same CMYK job printed using different print process's but following the corresponding ISO standard would they look similar or nothing like ? more of a hypothetical question than real world....

Nobody want to have a stab at this one ?, I asked the same question to "Technical Expert" at a well know ink manufacturer, he said he would have to phone a friend........not heard nothing since

Last edited:
How do the various ISO standards 12647-2, 12647-3, 12647-4 etc marry up against each other? Forgetting for minute any print process specific restrictions, if I had the same CMYK job printed using different print process's but following the corresponding ISO standard would they look similar or nothing like ? more of a hypothetical question than real world....

Id say its unlikely that various ISO standards would marry up with each other with the degree of accuracy one would hope. In fact, Id go so far as to say that the various definitions with in any one particular standard...ISO12647-2 for example, leave ample room for visual differences while still being a conforming interpretation.

While it's not the same as putting ink on paper, you could test your question out in Photoshop or on a decent proofing RIP. Use a profiling target and you can quantify the results.

Take a look at the attached screen grab comparing two "ISO" profiles; coated and uncoated. What I see are differences in saturation and lightness, which are to be expected. I don't notice big hue shifts. I do, however, notice some colors that are very desaturated in the uncoated colorspace that have a distinct hue in the coated colorspace.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 173

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back