ISO Process Curve Set

MikeG

Hello to all. I am getting ready to do a new calibration for our SM52 using Heidelberg Prinect workflow and calibration manager. The software comes with ISO 12647-2 (paper1+2) available as a reference process curve set. Wondering if this is the defacto standard to strive for or is there an upgrade or better curve set? Additionally we have a major account that uses a super smooth uncoated sheet (Finch Opaque Smooth). Should I shoot for the "paper 1+2" curve or "paper 3+4" curve set? My usual target densities on this sheet are c115, m115, y95, k125.

Thanks for any thoughts you can throw my way.

Last edited:
It would be wise, if you invest in purchasing some texts of ISO standards.
IS0 2846-1:2006 talks about ink color property under lab conditions
using inks, that conform to upper standard, series of test prints were done on well mantained presses using different types of papers. Definition of paper type, you will find on page 5 of ISO 12647-2:2004 document. Definition defines: CIELAB coordinates, gloss, ISO brightness and tolerances for typical papr types. You will need to compare values of Finch Opaque smooth paper with ones from table, to find out, where it belongs.
After you have chosen paper type, you will find out CIELAB values of primary and secondary colors for the printing sequence cyan-magenta-yellow. Target densities are no longer used - need spectrophotometer to measure result.
Only after print test form with linear plates, you will be able to measure and compare tone value increase with standard ones. You can use ones from Prinect Calibration manager.
But please be sure, that not only you (when standardising CTP and prepress) also your press counterpart does same homework: make sure, that procedure of printing is standardised=repeatable with same results tomorrow, in two months, in one year.
If you are unable to do that, call Heidi with Print color management service.

Janez

Finch Opaque will probably conform most closely to ISO paper type #4. You'll have to measure to be certain.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back