Just out of curiosity

prepressdork

First, this is only out of curiosity, there is no right or wrong answer:

As it relates to Mac OS X upgrades in a production environment, why do you upgrade (so soon)? Is there some must-have feature? In this and other forums, I have often seen users posting that one or more of their production applications have issues after upgrading the OS (and asking if a patch is available).

In my opinion, the various new features that have come with recent OS X upgrades have been rather lackluster from a production point of view.

Again, I am only curious :confused:

Thanks,
PD

I'm not a MAC user (I'm a PC guy), but, I would assume many of the upgrade principles are the same. One of the main reasons to upgrade and stay current has to do with security. As the operating system vendor discovers deficiencies in their software due to hacks, they write "patches" to prevent future intrusions. These patches are then incorporated into OS updates.

Also, if you are doing business with auditable corporations (banks, financial institutions, health care insurers, etc.) they will require a "System Penetration & Vulnerability" audit on a regular basis. If you're running an operating system that is not current with the latest releases, your system is vulnerable and it will be so noted on your audit.

-Best

MailGuru

We tend to update one of our machines and then wait months before updating the others. That way we have plenty of time to find any issues.

I have an installation at a Hospital that just in the last year "upgraded" to XP as their operating system on all their PCs. When I put my rip in with Windows 7, You would have thought I brought in a virus ridden security hole. At that point they were still using Windows 2000. I had to get the head of IT to approve adding the rip PC to their network with local access only.

It just goes to show to what extreme some users will go to for stability and security.

I have an installation at a Hospital that just in the last year "upgraded" to XP as their operating system on all their PCs. When I put my rip in with Windows 7, You would have thought I brought in a virus ridden security hole. At that point they were still using Windows 2000. I had to get the head of IT to approve adding the rip PC to their network with local access only.

It just goes to show to what extreme some users will go to for stability and security.

I wonder if their IT people know that Window XP will become a potential security threat at the end of this year. Microsoft will no longer support (which means no more security updates/patches) XP after December 31st, 2013.

-MailGuru

It didn't make sense to me either. The IT department has everyone there intimidated and people don't want to incur the wrath of IT. It's like something out of a Dilbert cartoon.

Mac users tend to install the latest full release when it comes out for various reasons. Some is a fanatical fascination, some is being the first on the block, some is curiosity. If it's your personal machine for goofing off it's one thing to be an early adopter. But if it's your production machine that you rely upon for income you tend to be a bit more cautious. It doesn't cost the prepress operator lost wages when they update and roll back (if possible). It costs the company money.

As someone with an IT/IS background...

There are a number of reasons to stay current. Some have already been mentioned while others not. There should generally be a "slight" delay and a check for compatibility issues unless the patch/update solves a critical problem or critical security flaw.

Reason 1: Security

Reason 2: Compatibility with customer demands
Just because you use common sense and wait a reasonable grace period does not mean customer or their agents X, Y and Z are not going to rocket forward.

Side-note: Whether it be true or not, do you people who demand "we only accept CS3 files" realize how terrible and backwards you look to the customer? If you are unable to accept files more than 1 version from the current version "YER DOIN' IT WRONG!"

Reason 3: Unsecured/unrestricted users making their own decision (Matt described this as user fanaticism, that's definitely sometimes the case)

Reason 4: Backwards compatibility nightmares.

Just in this narrow prepress view:
Yeah, your MacOS 10.2 computer has worked just great for half a millennia. Awesome! Good for you! But good luck making anything you've generated work when you upgrade and skip 10 versions of software. I've personally been through this nightmare over and over again with people still using PageMaker, ancient versions of Quark (or current versions for that matter), Ancient versions of other Adobe apps, Macromedia Apps, etc. Yeah... you're not going to be able to open those 10,000 Freehand documents with Illustrator CC, InDesign CC, etc. and No, we can't buy Adobe CS1 for you now.

From a budget perspective:
It's typically a whole lot easier to buy 4 of 5 computers with all associated software every year than it is to buy 50 every 5 years.

Reason 5: Forwards compatibility for support. As someone already mentioned vendors stop supporting legacy software for good reason.

Now for a rant:
These software vendors who like to lag behind 6 months to a year+ are a huge headache and problem. Clean up or restart your ancient code base, get organized and wake-up to 21st century development models. I'm not going to sign-off for the $25,000 a year service contract and continue buying your software if you don't shapeup. I'm not going to pity you for outsourcing all of your development to enrich yourself with a 30% margin instead of a 20% margin.

I've heard countless vendors support groups tell users "don't install windows updates on the X server!" and "you can't run antivirus and anti-malware software on server X". You've got to be #$#ing kidding me right? Do you want me to leave the doors unlocked and the security system disabled when I leave every night too?

Personal anecdotal story:
I have one critical server from a particular press vendor that literally breaks every time a windows update is installed. This vendor has made their equipment only accept presetting data from their proprietary software that this server runs. It runs only on Windows 2003 (zee parent company tells us nothing so no, vee don't know what zee upgrade schedule is). "We don't support virtualization why would you want to do that?". I call their support repeatedly "uh, yeah we uh, don't know what is causing this um.. hmm.. never seen this before". I finally figured out the problem myself and had to write a procedure of manually stopping/starting services.

Whew. Needed to get that off my chest!

I do it (and always have) out of sense of curiosity.
I take a spare hard drive on my tower with a spare SSD hard drive. I erase the drive and clean install everything.
I work from a point of view of, "If I had to buy a brand new mac tomorrow for my departments, could they function with 10.9, Adobe CC, etc).
Why do I do this? Because there was a time (back in 20??) that Apple made it where I could not downgrade new macs.
I learned my lesson.

Now, as to 10.9. It is SLICK. Maybe it is finally getting all programs running at full potential? I don't know. I just know that Safari is one bounce on the dock and it is open. I am sure that I am no different than others around here. I open and close and open and close all day long.
Finally, my main reason for upgrading was to get my hands on GMC Inspire V9 Beta. We need some of the features of V9 and the only way to get V9 was to be in 10.9

I have my fully functional 10.8.5 sitting on another hard drive, and a simple "startup disk" and reboot is all it takes to be back blissfully in 2012.

I'm almost ready to move from system 9.2... ;)

Not 9.2.2? ;)

There were salient points made about security, it policy, etc. but you have to be careful these upgrades must be planned.

What I do is I clone the standard OS to a different drive, then boot off of newly cloned drive, update the OS, then see what breaks. Not unlike what Kaiser smartly (and rightly) does.

It's just good business to plan these things.

There have been small improvements to the OS, nothing as big as the days leading to Snow Leopard. Part of the reason for upgrading is new machines run the latest OS. Right now I am running Mavericks on a virtual machine as it does not play well with out RIP. I like to work on issues right from the get go as I know that eventually I will upgrade at least one machine and need it to work as it a new Mac is not backwards compatible generally.

My only concern with the two drives is the firmware issue. I am not sure if I am playing safely or not.
I learned a valuable lesson when I powered down mac tower one, pulled the drive that I had just wiped and installed from scratch on 10.8.5
Then, stuck it into a mac tower that was born within 3 months of the other. UHM...that was a mistake. The finder worked at 1/1000th the speed. Just getting out of that one took me a quarter of a day!
To get a clean install of Mavericks, I did the USB boot trick. Wiped that SSD and started with fresh 1's and 0's

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back