KM 7000 wont print linin well at all

Hounds2

my KM 7000 nor my 5501 will print linin paper well. the image is terrible. is there something i'm missing in my settings, or is this just a cant do with the minoltas? any help would be appreciated.

scott

Hi Scott.

I don't think any digital printer will lay toner down on linen paper well. It doesn't have anything to do with KM - it's the fact that linen paper isn't smooth and toner doesn't lie evenly on non-smooth paper.

Guys, We have run some Business cards on our KM Bizhub C65hc (100# cover white linen), it is about the same engine as 5501/6501 with high chroma toner, it came out awesome and I did not have to trick it or anything - just uncoated cover, specified the weight and that's all so it just might be your settings...

We've had terrible luck running any sort of textured stock on our KM C8000.

I don't think it's true that "any digital printer" won't print it well.
Our Canon c6000 runs it MUCH better. Our KM tech says the fuser rollers are softer on the Canon. No idea how true that is - Never actually compared them. There's also a secondary voltage adjustment that helps a lot on the Canon. None of the user side settings on the KM seem to help at all.
I also have samples from a Xerox J75 on Strathmore laid stock that looked great.

Most digital print equipment will have problems with traditional linen stock. The secret is your paper choice. There are many linen stocks out there that are specifically designed for digital print (the weave is tighter and smoother, but, basically "looks" like traditional linen).

Try Neenahpapers Classic Crest, or Classic Linen for digital (I know Mac carries it, but, I don't know who else does).
They also carry the matching envelopes to the linen.

There are only two pieces of equipment that I have seen run traditional linen very well: The Indigo (since it is liquid toner based), and, the iGen (the iGen uses an acoustic "blower" process that "blows" the toner down into the weave).

Last edited:
i guess at least i'm not alone. we have had konicas for a number of years, and went totally digital last year, selling all our presses. we have a 5501 and a 7000 that are the main units we use. overall we have been satisfied but it took a long time to get the 7000 up to our expectations. neither will run 20# bond or 80# gloss well. we run 24# bond and 100# gloss without any real issues. cover stock is not a problem. i was hopeing that there was some way to get linin to run because we sold alot of it, and ran it on our presses. now we have to switch the customer over to something else or job it out. we were tempted to give the xerox a try but havent heard that they are any better. i appreciate all that took the time to respond, i was hoping it would be a simple fix. btw, i find that the service reps know very little about what their machines are supposed to do and they are at a loss to help. it makes life interesting.

our KM C6000 does pretty well if you adjust the transfer voltages. -25 seems to be pretty good.

We saw some prints off the newer Ricoh 5100 color machine which we were told uses an AC (rather than DC) power to transfer the image to the sheet and it was filled in better than anything I've ever seen.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back