KM C8000 Problem with Red Text and red full tone square

Bavarian

Hi everybody!

Does anyone expierence the phenomenon when printing a 100% red (100M+100Y) Text on the KM C8000 it looks unsharp? On a closer look you can see magenta toner around the text, thats why it looks unsharp. On the other hand when we print a red full tone square we can see thin white lines in the red. The techcs say this comes from the dry environment (around 25%) .
There is a minor workaround for the red text, if we change the red to 100M and 80Y the sharpness gets better, not perfect.

Thanks

Have you tried any settings on your RIP to fix the text like anti-aliasing, trapping or stroke thickening? Have you tried changing your halftone pattern or screen angles?

Your techs are absolutely right it is the low humidity that causes this.
Try lowering the 1st transfer values for Yellow and Magenta to -2 or even -3
[03 Administrator Setting] -> [01 System Setting] -> [05 Expert Adjustment] -> [06 Process Adjustment] -> [01 Front & Back Density]
After the change run Gamma Adjustment.
This should fix the lines in red.
Give it a try and post the results.

Thanks for your answers!

First it is not a problem of color registration and yes we tried several settings with the RIP, nothing helped.
The white lines is possible to get rid of with lowering the 1st transfer values.
But not the unsharp red text.
Any other colored text is not the problem.

Last edited:
Hi, have had an issue similar to this a couple of times, where there's like a halo effect around anything red.
Its always been a charging corona and imaging unit issue..
Tech comes around cleans or replaces charging corona, replaces imaging unit.
We do the normally ''Execute adjustment operation'' and off she gones as crisp as ever.

But i am not too trilled anymore by the machine, its producing far superior prints than many of our competitors.
Yet its always down!!!
Off late its the second fuser, any stock other than plain and higher than 135gsm goes thru the second fuser.
As it enters the machine shuts down with a C3570 code....
Now i have to run all stock as plain and lower than 135gsm so that it bypasses the second fuser.
This works, but colour matching is impossible, so are printing solids, and the high gloss finish is killed...

Also a vital gear that turns all the spiralling shafts that move toner towards the waste toner pipes and ultimately the waste toner bottle is stuffed.
Its worn out after leaving the machine printing a 20k print run on 80gsm bond paper !!!!
Why was that gear Polyeurethane in the first place...Its absolutely vital.
This caused the toner that was in the pipes to cake up, due to the heat.
That lead to us having to strip the entire engine section and meticulously clean out all the pipes.
And now we have been removing the transfer belt cleaning blade manually every 2000 or so prints and empty and put back.
I believe the part has now finally arrived from Japan !!!!!

I would like to hear about some of you guys issues with this machine....
Cos i was amped on getting a second one about 6 months after i got the first,
now I think I want to go INDIGO....
I am sure that we can surprise you with the issues we have had over the last year.....

We had also some issues with a lot C3101 shutdowns, around 10 the last week. Not a big problem just restart the machine, but the running job disappeared.
3 Months ago we had a lot C3801/3901 codes, overheating fuser. Techs had to change a motherboard.
All in all we need once a week to call the service, with a volume around 300K per month. But that seems to be pretty normal.

Hi B,
We came from a C550 running around 50/60k copies a month and the C8000 has undoubtedly tripled our volume.
But for the amount of down time we have, i'm not impressed.
When we switch on the machine, it sometimes shuts down, ''CALL SERVICE" CDOE1 or some code like that, it doesnt recognise the hard drives.
We have to keep on restarting the machine, going into service mode, then exiting (without making any changes) then it recognises the hard drives....
I think we may also have to change a 2 boards... one for the second fuser which is our current issues.
And one is an issue we had when the machine was first delivered, but the techs attempted to repair the board onsite and got it up and running.
I am sure that this "repair" is part cause of our endless issues....

We don't have a startup problem. But going into service mode we know well. We needed it for the C3801/3901 codes to reset them, otherwise we had to call the service. At some point it wasn't even possible to reset the fault.

Any idea if other brands of machine have these issues...
I actually now know jus as much if not more than our tech actually does...LOL
I fix issues myself on the fly, cos production can't wait for Minolta's 4hr response time....
My customers even call me techie now...
I thought that digital was cleaner than litho .... I never see any of my litho guys workshop floors messed with ink
for that matter, most of them hardly even mess their hands a great deal.
My handles are filthy everyday with toner, and my wife has now given me 1 pair of shorts to work in everyday,
as i mess everything that i wear to work :D

We came from Xerox to KM, and we have a Canon IP6010. The Canon makes around 2-300K a month but is only printing 80g paper, makes only 60 p/min, but need only around once or twice a month a service tech. But the printing quality is not as good as the C8000.
The Xerox DC 7000 we had, is sure not without problems, but i think it was more stable.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back