KM Production 5501/6501 & 950/1050 - low volume vs. high volume

I am new to KM Bizhub pro line (KM in general, as Ricoh has been my field of support), and wanted to see what others with long term real world experience (not a KM sales rep please) on the listed systems. What are the good and the bad of the 6501(IC-408) and the 950/1050 (KM rips)? AND most importantly, as I am seeing them placed in many business's with monthly volume of 2000 pages or less, can they survive NOT printing much?

To start it off I see the listed units as poor choices for small/medium business who don't like:
  • energy hungry
  • loud
  • heavy / need more floor space

(the KM's above are the ones flying out the door and I am seeing in the field, so recommending a c552 or some other printer instead only works in YOU call the sales guy and tell him, LOL)

Last edited:
I can only speak to the 6501 (we have Oce CS665, so same engine) - 2000 pages a month would be a waste on that machine. They get a little fussy if they are not pushing out over 30k (12x18) a month in our experience. Don't know exactly what else you are looking for but I don't think any of those are 2k a month units.

I am new to KM Bizhub pro line (KM in general, as Ricoh has been my field of support), and wanted to see what others with long term real world experience (not a KM sales rep please) on the listed systems. What are the good and the bad of the 6501(IC-408) and the 950/1050 (KM rips)? AND most importantly, as I am seeing them placed in many business's with monthly volume of 2000 pages or less, can they survive NOT printing much?

To start it off I see the listed units as poor choices for small/medium business who don't like:
  • energy hungry
  • loud
  • heavy / need more floor space

(the KM's above are the ones flying out the door and I am seeing in the field, so recommending a c552 or some other printer instead only works in YOU call the sales guy and tell him, LOL)

Well. That's some rep, able to justify KM production print machines with just 2K of volume. What type of customers? Did these machines fall off a truck? Did the customers fall off a turnip truck?

No, 2k is way too little to make these run right. As for good/bad, those are pretty subjective and quite the broad discussion. Properly maintained, all three are good boxes. Do you have any specific questions? :)

How could you even think of leasing or buying any commercial digital printer for such a small volume? I only do 30K a month and that is considered on the low side.

Aside from that, the KM is definitely loud as would be any printer that is folding, collating, saddle stitching inline. Can't think of any machine off the top of my head that isn't loud when it's running for hours.

Volume is just one variable in the equation.

Don't forget about profit per piece/job/application.

I know someone that justifies a DocuColor 252 with less than 2,000 prints a month because he prints some high end invitations for weddings, sweet 16s and events like that. He charges a lot of $$$ for those invitations even though they only cost him pennies.

Btw, the invitations are printed not on regular paper, but organic papers, hand made papers, papers with fragance, etc ... and then some additional decorations are added to it, like glitter, ribbons, etc.

Hi all

One issue you might come across with low volumes is that your supplier 'might' blame any issues you have with the machine on this.

We had some initial problems with the 6501, our supplier kept blaming the low volumes we were running, saying the machine was designed to run at high volumes and didn't like being only used occasionally.

I thought this was a load of old bull, but now that we are running higher volumes I have to say that the problems have largely gone away.

kantblue

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back