KM1200 External RIP?

dpolglaze

Registered Users
Are you or anyone you know using an external RIP on a KM bizhub PRO 1200?

I need to run PS files (mostly from GMC PrintNet) that use custom-size pages. Also need to split jobs and print or reprint page ranges and have control over paper-feed trays and output bins, and be able to recognize tray calls for mixed media jobs.

Essentially looking for something that will match Freeflow, but on the 1200. Also, it can't or shouldn't use a "hot-folder" workflow for getting files into the system, but if that can be hidden somehow that would work.

The two external rip options for Konica are Fiery and Creo. If you are familiar with Command workstation this is basicly the rip you will be using. Creo has more or less similar functions and workflow.
You shouldnt have any issues doing what you listed there. While you can set up hot folders on the Fiery, there are your standard print to, or import functions.

The only external RIP I'm aware of is the Micropress, which is essentially a Fiery. I have 3 1200s and briefly considered it, as one unit can be configured to push up to 4 engines. But in the end I couldn't see the value in it, it's definately not cheap. I have problems with jobs that utilize custom page sizes as well, so far I've found workarounds, but it can be a pain sometimes. I've been able to make tray calls and output selections using the ppd up front, but giving control of reprints to my operators hasn't happened yet. Do you have to use PS files? Creating PDFs isn't an option?

Externa Controller for the 1200

Externa Controller for the 1200

If you are looking for Queue management for multiple Konica Minolta PRO B&W and Color devices you could look at a much less expensive option in the Printgroove suite created by KM. KM offers 4 mods for this piece. The most popular mods for this application are Ready and Queue. This is very similar to EFI SeeQuence Impose/Compose Suite in a way that you can see the full queue of jobs for daily setup, imposition, composition, make ready, clean-up...and many more.

See the link below.

http://kmbs.konicaminolta.us/main/content/sales/attachments/mktgadvdocs/Printgroove_brochure.pdf

Hope this helps..

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back