Kodak Preps 5.3. and Prosetter problem

JDStudio

Hi,
New to the forum so please be gentle! I recently installed a Prosetter Violet ctp and metadimension rip.

I have the following problem and wondering if anyone can shed some light before I crack up.

Pdf's supplied by client contain CMYK + 3 spots. (4 colour job only)
If I send these to the rip, all plates will print. (7 plates)
If I convert the PDF using Pitstop to all spots to CMYK, Preps won't then let me import the file. Comes up with a file error. I have tried several PDF fixups but they all fail in Kodak Preps.

If I attempt to use Preps to convert the spots to process in the print menu, the rip then fails.

Any obvious workaround known please?

Can I let Metadimension convert the spots at the Rip.

Cheers

Rob

So many ways to fix this... but it all depends on WHICH VERSION of software you are using.
1. Color conversion spot to CMYK is available in Acrobat Pro 8-9 (convert color).
2. It is also available in 90% of the RIPs on the market today, check your user manual.
3. Preps is sensitive to PDF version of the file, check which version your Preps supports (PDF v1.4 Acrobat 5 should work).
Remember, if you save the file in Acrobat, it will bump up the version to its default - use PDF optimizer to explicitly set the version.

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I checked my pitstop prefs in acrobat 9 and yes, when saving a preflighted and modified PDF, pitstop automatically saved it as a newer version by overriding my settings through preflighting. !!! What's the point in that???
I can now import my pitstop cmyk converted PDFs without the read file error coming up in Preps.

Many thanks for your help.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back