Kodak struggles - it's not getting better

..........calling Uncle Sam........

..........calling Uncle Sam........

What, no talk of a bale-out from Capitol Hill????
I'm sure the buffoons and brain-trust at the top are folding and packing their golden parachutes as we speak. At least they will be nice and comfy! F@#$ the worker bees, let them eat cake!

Last edited:
kind of funny....

kind of funny....

I remember when one of Kodak's color experts remarked to me 5 years ago that the Epson printer would never be a contract level proof or compete with the Matchprint. Not too surprising Kodak will be going down the s@#$hole if that was the mindset at the former giant. Arrogance, stupidity, or both? Glad we opted to use Fuji plates and Fuji automation.

I saw some months ago that Kodak was raising cash by selling off the many Patents it owns. Some were sold to Microsoft (EasyShare), some to Motorola, etc. to the tune of over 8 figures, but they seem to be hemorrhaging cash.

This shop WAS a Kodak shop. I was never thrilled with the Kodak EVO workflow, but the final straw was that Kodak was unable to deliver us plates. Many of our orders went unfilled for 8-12 weeks with some items b/o for much longer. Their workforce has shrunk dramatically. Support from Kodak was sorely lacking.

Presstek is selling the Kodak imagesetter under a Presstek brand name, put the computer interface is still branded Kodak and it still recognizes the imagesetter as a Kodak product. Maybe they will sell their prepress bisiness to Presstek.

I think Kodak fully intends to pull out of the prepress business (with the possible exception of proofers) and press forward with their home consumer inkjet printers. Time will tell.

We used Kodak only because Polychrome was bought out by them. Then it really got hard for me to get supplies so I changed.

I think that Kodak is fighting a losing battle. Its not like they don't have people with the brains or the et al, its just that they have entered into a tough phase where it is competing with not only digital technology but mobile phones as well. Perhaps they should look at the larger picture and then decide their strategy.

We use the Kodak Approval system and make colour keys for our flexo customers and they love them. Should we start buying up all the remaining rolls of material!?

We use the Kodak Approval system and make colour keys for our flexo customers and they love them. Should we start buying up all the remaining rolls of material!?

At the cost of the materials I would just really continue to follow this closely, then make a choice.

I believe if I were currently using any of Kodaks supplies I would be very concerned. If it were me I would definitely start looking for other options and have my bases covered so that when supplies stop becoming available, I would have a backup already in place.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back