Kompac issue

Richard

Hi, my first of two kompacs is scum on gear side always.
On most runs I jam wet cotton there. (gaurd is always removed) Stripe is perfect, I notice the soft form is not center in the unit. Burning seal there is tricky. One tech rep agrees. Remarks a seal inside the unit is worn. One tech say, after market roller quality bad, replaced a year ago. Water is not getting there. Rep never came yet to replace that inside seal, a tricky downtime. Makes my job a juggling routine. Any idea? glaze? what can you use to deglaze kompac roller?
Tried thinner stripe, thicker stripe, extra care to clean the area of lint, ink etc....
It don't leak. Why is no water getting there?
I resort to cut plate there, little help.
My life a misery, boss don't simpathy. lol
Got remark?
thnx
richard

Form and metering roller too tight together/not evenly?
Oscillating roller not evenly adjusted?

Last edited:
Scumming or Toning?

Scumming or Toning?

Hi, my first of two kompacs is scum on gear side always.
On most runs I jam wet cotton there. (gaurd is always removed) Stripe is perfect, I notice the soft form is not center in the unit. Burning seal there is tricky. One tech rep agrees. Remarks a seal inside the unit is worn. One tech say, after market roller quality bad, replaced a year ago. Water is not getting there. Rep never came yet to replace that inside seal, a tricky downtime. Makes my job a juggling routine. Any idea? glaze? what can you use to deglaze kompac roller?
Tried thinner stripe, thicker stripe, extra care to clean the area of lint, ink etc....
It don't leak. Why is no water getting there?
I resort to cut plate there, little help.
My life a misery, boss don't simpathy. lol
Got remark?
thnx
richard

Hi richard,

A lack of water causes toning, but scumming is emulsified ink on the plate caused by too much water mixing with the ink. If it goes away by adding water to the plate with a cotton pad or spray bottle, then it is toning. The squeeze between the metering and form roller may be to great. Check that by stopping the press when the Kompac is fully inked; let it set for a minute then turn the hand-wheel forward until you can see the stripe formed by the two rollers. It should be even all the way across. Adjust using the discs on the ends of the metering roller. Typically when I put a new roller on, I set the adjust the roller to allow about .005 inch gap between them; that becomes the zero mark on the discs. You can do this by loosening the set screw on the outer surface of the disc(s) and turning them to the zero mark.then tighten the set screw. Then a setting of two or three on the discs should be a good setting. All this is in the unit installation manual if you happen to have one.

The metering and form rollers should be even. If not, the seals won't wear evenly as the bracket one side will be tight and the other will not have enough pressure and will bottom out allowing too much water and cause scumming.

I have install many after market rollers and not had trouble. Form roller stripe should be one eighth inch (+ or -) and even.

I hope that helps.

Tomtech

Hi tom, company tech finally arrived yesterday. Unit was removed. His expanation was, inside the unit (I have all the diagrams for it) above that tube with the little spring that he said protects the insides from damage from a sheet in the rollers,there was a part that broke, and the end of the roller was cut badly, I saw the cut form roller.
He put in an older form I had to get me by for the next two weeks, till he can put in a new one. I ran a job with both heads today with no problem.Too much water there created the severe scumming? This tech is part of our corporation, and will only bill us for the new form, not instilation. Sound correct to you?

The proof is in the results. Damage to the surface of either meter or form roller will cause the problem. There is what Kompac calls a waive washer at the between the roller bearings and the units side frame, one for each roller and they should be on the same side so the apply pressure in the same direction. Glad things are working out.

Tomtech

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back