Konica C5500/6500/5501/6501 owners - black on gloss

alu

Would any other owners of the machines listed in the subject care to do a little test?

Any gloss stock, text weight or cover weight, run through your machine with a pure black flood. Just a large black rectangle covering the whole sheet.
If you have it, please try Carolina 10pt c2s/c1s, as I've been told this is a "supported" sheet.

Run with any settings you like.

After, take a sheet of any white stock you have and run it on your test print. Turn it over and look for flaked off toner appearing on the sheet. Rub a bit harder and look again?

And then please, post your results here? :)

I have so far tried this with three units.. a 5501, 6501, and 6500. All the same result. Some settings can minimize it (hint: you might think higher heat would be the solution, but not always)... but the problem occurs on any coated stock in my experience.

Would really appreciate any other people's experiences with these machines.

Thanks

I have not tried your experiment but I have experienced intermittent issues on Carolina 12pt C1S. A "smearing" line in a colorful photo, always in the same location, near the trail end of the sheet. After replacing the fuser and corona wires and spending several hours chasing possible causes I am told that it is the stock. If this is an supported sheet, what do I do with all the remaining "supported sheets" I cannot use?

Anyone else with similar adventures?

Carolina

Carolina

We use Carolina stock for all our covers and I have never encountered this problem. We have a KM CS655 (OCE). We have tried other stocks but they curl terribly. Carolina lies nice and flat. Are you using a Fiery? We print with the glossy setting checked which makes the print shinier by applying more heat. We Use 10pt and 8pt Carolina C1S and C2S. We also have a Drytac UV coater that adds a beautiful shine for various projects.

SopoTN, halmac,

Any chance I can get you to run the test I posted above?

I'll owe you a beer!

I just used the carolina as an example. Like I said, it's with any coated stock.

Thanks!

Test print

Test print

I ran your test and no flakes or anything. Our Carolina is coated but it's certainly not gloss.

Thanks halmac...
I called 2 other stores.. similar results. One had major toner issues, but the tech came in and slowed down the cpm and that seemed to solve it. He seems satisfied, but I wouldn't be.. who wants to run with CPM and speed down when running 80# text?

The other store I called said only a very little came off. I might be pickier than most but any toner coming off is too much.

You pressed with a clean sheet and rubbed it all over your test print?

Well hold on now.. that speed slow down is not usually needed, so that's not being fair..

And that would be one of the major reasons I picked the Ricoh Pro c651ex over the Konica.
Not a fair comparison. The Ricoh C651EX is a newer model. By the time it was introduced, the KM 5500/5501/6500/6501 models were already discontinued. If anything, the C651EX would have to be compared to a KM C6000/C7000.

Very true, Sorry. I had a C pro 500 and had that problem, when I looked at the 6000 and seen the slow down speed on it I went for the 651.

Very true, Sorry. I had a C pro 500 and had that problem, when I looked at the 6000 and seen the slow down speed on it I went for the 651.
It's true that the KM C6000 slows down with the heaviest substrates, but so does the Ricoh Pro C651EX.

I was talking about the local technicican's recommendation to fix the issue with 80# *TEXT* was to slow it down, which I don't find acceptable..

The 651 will run coated 100 text at full speed. when it does slow down which is only on card stock it slows down to 70%. That is it's only slow down, the Konica's step down 3 times depending on stock. I got both manufacturers to give me the full break down on speeds for all stocks, 11x17 and 8.5x11. The spread sheet is at work but trust me it was a big advantage for the Ricoh, so far it has been able to deliver with out the flaking that was the subject of this thread.

Am facing a problem regarding the color registration. am printing the 4 color black text. during printing magenta/cyan is appearing out and it is visible.
if anybody know the result please reply me ([email protected])

My problem is with any gloss coated sheet. Name one and I'll go an buy it and try it. The other shop we tested had the same problem with any gloss coated sheet. I called 3 more, all said "yes black toner marks left on the paper when rubbed across the imaged sheet".

toner4brains, I do appreciate your posts, especially that one describing loop adjustment.

Carolina 10pt c1s/c2s is listed in the "bizhub PRO C6500 Substrate Throughput Assurance Guide". What paper is supported in your mind? I also have Sterling, same result.

Slowing the machine down, or overstating the gsm of the paper, makes it *worse* in my case.

All I was looking for was for actual *owners* of this particular machine to give it a simple test....

You asked, before editing your post, if all the other printers I called are in the same area. Yes, they are.

I was very surprised when everyone I called around here had the same issue.

That's why I was calling on printplanet forum members for help with this...

anyone??

I have not tried your experiment but I have experienced intermittent issues on Carolina 12pt C1S. A "smearing" line in a colorful photo, always in the same location, near the trail end of the sheet. After replacing the fuser and corona wires and spending several hours chasing possible causes I am told that it is the stock. If this is an supported sheet, what do I do with all the remaining "supported sheets" I cannot use?

Anyone else with similar adventures?

Have a 6500 run coated all the time Carolina 12pt almost every day never a issue. If their is issue tech comes normally needs new drum, developer, corona, normal service stuff. Their is a cleaning felt I think that is what they call it. That was coming off that they changed once. As far as my experience as long as you have paper settings right on machine no issue.

The issue has mostly disappeared. There is still some unfused toner coming off, but about 1/10 of what was coming off before. We did go through about 8 bottles of black toner since then though. I personally suspect a toner issue.

The local service reps have noticed the same effect on the c7000 (and I think maybe the 8000, but not 100% sure.) Either way, they have told me they are escalating the issue.

FWIW I've never seen that problem on any of our 6501 or c8000 machines. Lots of other problems, but luckily not that one yet.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back