Labels? flexo, gravure, offset

NicolasD

We have to invest in new equipment to produce labels in rolls on PP
Flexo, gravure, semi-roto offset ?
I am looking for some advice

What are quantities you will produce?
Why not HP Indigo or the Agfa UV roll fed inkjet?
John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

I agree : What is your average run length and how many colors will you need to print?

Also there is other equipment you would need.

We are aiming at a maximum of 20 to 30 tons per month
An average run, for a width of 24", it'd be 30 000 m / 100 000 feet

Gravure

Gravure

Gravure always for this type of work if you want the quality , detail and you want to reproduce this .
People say Gravure is expensive . Look at your total cost on the project. Gravure is getting cheaper and cheaper. Contact me if you want some guide prices.

thanks for your comment. I am still looking for more information but it's still very blurry. If anyone can help, it would be great.
I heard from a rotogravure press owner that the quality produced by flexo is now as good as the quality produced by rotogravure. It's true that cost of cylinders for gravure is going down but I don't think it will ever compete. So what is the advantages of gravure? Speed? Consistancy? How about the operating cost?

thanks for your comment. I am still looking for more information but it's still very blurry. If anyone can help, it would be great.
I heard from a rotogravure press owner that the quality produced by flexo is now as good as the quality produced by rotogravure. It's true that cost of cylinders for gravure is going down but I don't think it will ever compete. So what is the advantages of gravure? Speed? Consistancy? How about the operating cost?

You have to weigh up the total cost, Ie down time run speeds etc.
New gravure presses are now desgined for short run and quick changeover
I worked in a company whom made 13 change overs in one day.Every day
This was impossible 5 years ago.
It all comes down to standardization of ink, repro, press conditions, and image carrier and new technology on the press.
It depends on where your cylinder supplier is and how much vlome you need. Some comapnies are now on a level with flexo and gravure prices.
Let me know maybe I can point you in the right direction.
One advantage of gravure is that you can print anything, so your business is adaptable to change.

The choice between gravure and flexo is going to be a difficult one. It comes down to small details, such as budget, location, priting quantity, after sales service, staff and prepress capabilities. Stay away from anything waterbased and away from offset. PP and PE dont accept water, so UV is a must. You need also to concider the length of each job, not only the monthly consumption.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back