Large Scale Data Merging

z284pwr

Looking to see if anyone has experience with any software that is capable of handing data merging on a large scale. Large scale as in the currently takes in about 100+ combos using several different types of forms a day which are output to 7 different types of presses (5 different types of rotary presses, 3 sheetfed (all the use the same plates) and a Xerox digital press.

The Data Merge portion of InDesign would be able to handle the jobs on a small scale but I'm curious to see if there is anything else that is intended more for this type of stuff that can handle such a large scale.

Realistically I think even InDesign may be able to handle this if a script could be written that will automatically open a file, perform the data merge and output the merged file. Either way I'm still curious to see whats out there.

InDesign's XML functionality can do an awful lot. It's very powerful. As for plug-ins, "YoursTruly" which is now called "SmartStream" can handle a lot. It's pretty limited on imposition, though.

We use XMpie with good results. Their sales staff are relatively helpful, but there support staff is good. They have a 30-day trial that should let you play with it on a limited record output that would at least give you an idea.

I'll have to do some investigating on these.

For those with experience with this type of things. Does the software have the ability to have the data inputted to them from an external source or are they the primary holder of the information? I ask simply because the information will have to come from the company's custom built customer/product database, which all it really does right now it reads a text file, locates the datafields it needs, adds the data it needs and outputs the final text file.

In general, these solutions use external databases, and do not make copies for themselves.

A second vote here for PlanetPress. It's PlanetPress Server (f/k/a PlanetPress Watch) is a powerful solution, especially for transactional VDP, and is particularly strong in workflow automation.

Steve

I'll have to do some investigating on these.

For those with experience with this type of things. Does the software have the ability to have the data inputted to them from an external source or are they the primary holder of the information? I ask simply because the information will have to come from the company's custom built customer/product database, which all it really does right now it reads a text file, locates the datafields it needs, adds the data it needs and outputs the final text file.

Planet Press (Objectif Lune) can absorb all kinds of data flow. Text files, Printer output streams etc.. Other data streams too.. Setup docs in teh Design Module, Setup automated data links and outputs in the Watch Module
Complex programming will need an expert (an expericed programmer may be able to learn it fast, lots of GUI input) but their support is pretty good too.
Objectif Lune – PlanetPress Suite
Output to multiple devices, in mutiple formats, make backups, send emails etc. all automatically , once programmed.

Last edited:
I will definitely check out all of these suggestions. I'm guessing pretty much any of them would work okay. The only real concern I think I've found is it needs to have the ability to combine multiple forms onto a single "plate" which then accepts the variable data.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back