Latex Printer - Fumes

GGDesign

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and would appreciate any feedback you have.

We are a small in-house print shop (just about 1,500sqft). We purchased a HP latex printer and were told no ventilation was required. However, we still experience headaches and nausea on occasion from the fumes. Does this happen to anyone else? We are looking at air purifiers, but not sure if that would even help. Any recommendations? I'm looking for some options to bring to my supervisor.

Thank you!

So, you're saying the best thing to do would be to get an actual ventilation system? My room isn't huge which is why I was thinking an air purifier would work but you don't think that would do the trick?

If you go for an air purifier it should be a multistage unit with at least one activated charcoal section along with being able to exchange your room air at least 4 times and hour.

If you vent you should install an activated charcoal filter that can capture the 2-pyrrolidone before it is vented. In either case I would make HP pay for it.

Last edited:
Green Printer - Thank you for all the feedback, I really appreciate it! I'll take this to my supervisor and see what our next move is.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and would appreciate any feedback you have.

We are a small in-house print shop (just about 1,500sqft). We purchased a HP latex printer and were told no ventilation was required. However, we still experience headaches and nausea on occasion from the fumes. Does this happen to anyone else? We are looking at air purifiers, but not sure if that would even help. Any recommendations? I'm looking for some options to bring to my supervisor.

Thank you!

The heater systems in the HP Latex 200 printer series is the likely source of fumes and not the ink. Many PVC vinyl materials, both banner media and adhesive-backed, can release fumes when heated inside of the printer. Different medias will react to heat in different ways, and some media products will produce more fumes than others will.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back