len file tif file naming

madflexo

I'm hoping someone out there can help with this issue. I am wondering if .len files and .tif files can maintain their spot color names when created? I am using AE10 and a GMG rip that is proofing .tif files created from a flexrip and my problem is that the Pantone library on my proofer does not recognize the files as they come over. The .tif files are abbreviated with just the Pantone number and not the full name.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Steve

In AE10 you can set the naming of the len files for output. I attached a screen shot of how ours is setup in one of our tickets. We are using the "short ink" naming which is the <slink> tag. So you just need to know how your proofer wants to see them and then set that naming in AE10. May be able to offer some assistance in doing that if you need it.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 193
Since we can’t query inks as the input for another smart name the most elegant solution
Would be to create a little database with 2 columns : original inkname, and new inkname
Example :
Pms1000c_7532*************** Pantone 7532 C
This database can be made pretty fast using *Excel features or my favorite 3rd party renaming
Pgm : BFR (better file series ; better file renamer for mac/pc).
In AE10, setup a database query for the inkname and pass the result onto another smartname
That you can use in the expose ticket.

I'm hoping someone out there can help with this issue. I am wondering if .len files and .tif files can maintain their spot color names when created? I am using AE10 and a GMG rip that is proofing .tif files created from a flexrip and my problem is that the Pantone library on my proofer does not recognize the files as they come over. The .tif files are abbreviated with just the Pantone number and not the full name.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Steve
Maybe, you could try to use <ink> instead of <sink> in FlexRip naming conversion.

• <ink>
This indicates the color group + underscore + full ink name
e.g. pms1000c_warmred
• <sink>
The short ink name will be used. For process colors this means e.g. C instead
of cyan. For Pantone colors this means the PMS number or a shortened name
like WAR for Warm Red.
(from Esko FlexRip Manual)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back