Ligatures in INDD CS 5.5

kaiserwilhelm

We need the ability to turn off ALL ligatures in work that has come from our customers.
First option would be to select every paragraph style and then click off of ligature.

is there an automatic way to do this?
Or, we are looking into scripting it. I have an INDD scripter on staff. From what he has produced in the past, I think this will be pretty easy.
Just looking for comments / suggestions.

Oh, and if you wonder WHY I need them off? Because when I import the text into GMC Inspire (formerly PrintNetT), a ligature automatically kills my font.
As far as I am concerned, I think my customers can live without that 2/1000's of an inch that it pulls the L closer to the F?

Isn't there a setting to change in Inspire? (not knowing anything about Inspire) but i would be afraid of running into text reflows.....

The issue is that when it imports, it sees the FL as a glyph and OWER as another. So, instead of FLOWER, it is two ligatures.
Also, it makes the font be subset because it is not part of the real font.
At least that is what I am seeing.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back