Linseed oil for cleaning rollers!

CostaRicaPrinter

Having observed that linseed oil was an ingredient in some of my more eco-friendly roller cleaners, I decided to try straight linseed oil. It's a miracle cleaner! A small amount leaves the rollers completely clean and velvety. It seems to gently dissolve all the ink out, and a quick wash afterwards leaves the rollers really nice. No bad odors, gentle on the rollers. We've had great success with it!

Bill G.

caution

caution

Rags soaked with linseed oil stored in a pile are considered a fire hazard because they provide a large surface area for oxidation of the oil, and the oil oxidizes quickly. The oxidation of linseed oil is an exothermic reaction, which accelerates as the temperature of the rags increases. When heat accumulation exceeds the rate of heat dissipation into the environment, the temperature increases and may eventually become hot enough to make the rags spontaneously combust

Rags soaked with linseed oil stored in a pile are considered a fire hazard because they provide a large surface area for oxidation of the oil, and the oil oxidizes quickly. The oxidation of linseed oil is an exothermic reaction, which accelerates as the temperature of the rags increases. When heat accumulation exceeds the rate of heat dissipation into the environment, the temperature increases and may eventually become hot enough to make the rags spontaneously combust

This is a fact. I know painters who use linseed oil and have had fires in their studio due to combustion of oily rags. Make sure they are disposed of quickly and that you have good ventilation when using. Of course if you're in a press room, you've probably got a ventilation system anyway.

Fire hazard,

Fire hazard,

Correct - oily rags must be disposed of. Our temps here are cool, and we have good ventilation. Never had any problem. We have many other substances a lot more volatile than linseed oil!!!

BG

Temperatures don't matter that much. 'Spontaneous combustion' the term itself implies that you don't need an external source of heat to ignite the fuel.

In the case of Linseed oil, the reaction is due to oxidation. Linseed oil soaked rags can burst into flames simply from having an oxygen supply. ALWAYS put linseed oil rags in a safety container and keep the lid closed, EMPTY EVERY NIGHT.

"We have many other substances a lot more volatile than linseed oil!!!" Maybe so, but do any of them have the oxygen reactive properties of a linseed oil soaked rag?

I'm not trying to preach to you or dissuade you from using it, but your post implies that that you have not researched all the hazards of this product.

Oh and don't be fooled by the MSDS, the Material Safety Data Sheet for Linseed oil is just for the chemical itself, it does NOT cover a pile of oil soaked rags.

Take care

Last edited:
Empty Every Night eh?

Empty Every Night eh?

I pretty much agree with the with all the cautionary comments. But "Empty Every Night" into what??? Into the big safety can in the sky? Just what is the safe, and proper way to store such rags until they are taken away by the service that launders them?

Al

I was always told that they should be kept in their own covered, metal receptacle, and not mixed with papers or anything else that could burn quickly. Some folks go so far as to not ball them up - maybe folded, or laid flat on top of each other in the can. That said, I don't think the general probability if spontaneous combustion is high -- but it does happen.

I didn't see anyone mention having the proper type of fire extinguisher(s) on hand nearby the "fire safe" waste receptacle - just in case.

On a goofier or scarier note (depending on your perspective)... I took a college course on fascism years ago and the professor told us that Hitler's (a vegetarian) favorite condiment was linseed oil on his salad and potatoes. To this day I cannot see/hear someone talk about linseed oil without that coming to mind.

Linseed oil is a natural drier. . If you do not thoroughly clean all of the linseed out of your rollers they will glaze and be as smooth as a babies behind. Home made paint for barns was made with linseed oil and red pigment. It was cheep and dried very hard and lasted for decades.

I pretty much agree with the with all the cautionary comments. But "Empty Every Night" into what??? Into the big safety can in the sky? Just what is the safe, and proper way to store such rags until they are taken away by the service that launders them?

Al

Our used rags get emptied out of any small workstation safety can into a metal 55 gallon drum with a safety lid on it, which is stored in a dedicated location with automatic fire protection. We have numerous safety programs which are strictly adhered to.

Here are some OSHA regulations as they are written. Some local jurisdictions have other codes which go beyond these regulations.

29 CFR 1910.125(e)(4)(iii) "When waste or rags are used in connection with dipping operations, approved metal waste cans shall be provided and all impregnated rags or waste deposited therein immediately after use. The contents of waste can shall be properly disposed of at least once daily at the end of each shift."

CFR 1926.252(e) All solvent waste, oily rags and flammable liquids shall be kept in fire- resistant covered containers until removed from worksite.

CFR 1926.25(c) Containers shall be provided for the collection and separation of waste, trash, oily and used rags and other refuse. Containers used for garbage and other oily, flammable or hazardous wastes, such as caustics, acids, harmful dusts, etc. shall be equipped with covers. Garbage and other waste shall be disposed of at frequent and regular intervals.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back