Linting/ Picking issue in Cyan ink

pacificiam

Hi Everyone,

I like to thanks to all for your suggestions and valuable comments on my all topics.
As you know now a day’s competition is high and customer is demanding for quality. Currently we are facing Linting/picking issue on 80 Gsm uncoated paper in cyan colour.
We are printing with Harris M 1000 with coldest ink. Printing speed of machine is 25-40k impression/hr.
We have tried to switch the unit of cyan but issue doesn’t resolve.
My questions are
  • Why it comes only in cyan ink only? ( We observed this issue on sheetfed presses also)
  • What are the possible remedies to eliminate this issue?
Kindly put you valuable suggestions.

Try another suppliers Cyan ink or maybe one or two other suppliers to see if the problem persists. You seem to have eliminated a print unit issue although I would check your roller train temperatures just to be safe.

Hello pacificiam,

Linting and Picking are two different problems,my guess is that you have a "Linting Problem" simply because you are printing on Uncoated Paper, Picking is a Coated Paper problem.

What is the printing sequence KCMY or what ?????

Why are you printing Coldset on a Heatset Press ?

Regards, Alois

Hello pacificiam,

Linting and Picking are two different problems,my guess is that you have a "Linting Problem" simply because you are printing on Uncoated Paper, Picking is a Coated Paper problem.

What is the printing sequence KCMY or what ?????

Why are you printing Coldset on a Heatset Press ?

Regards, Alois

Hi We are printing with CMYK in coldset press. But we also tried by switching units. But we are facing issue in Cyan only. We also tried ink from different manufacturer.

Hi,
since the cyan ink is first touching to the paper during printing so it collects all of the free paper fibers and if you check one side of the paper has more problematic since this side has more fibers.
One solution may be, you have to ask to your supplier to offer you the cyan ink with lower amount of varnish and the lowered amount hould be replaced by heavy oils resulting in reduced tack and also put some more fillers ( called as clays which is an ink ingredient) but they must be very careful in the combination not to disturb the ink/water balance.
Regards,
engin

Thank you for reply....

Do u facing any problem like this at your press.
Yes, I saw many times ( especially when changing from hot to cold season) at my cutomers and formulated the cyans exactly what I wrote.

Best regards,

Engin

Here is one pdf.
I hope it helps.

Regards,

Engin,

Attachments

• EffectofTemperature.pdf
    40.4 KB · Views: 220
Try adding linseed oil to the ink to increase its liquidity. Often works wonders for reducing issues caused by the ink pulling material from the paper....

Try adding linseed oil to the ink to increase its liquidity. Often works wonders for reducing issues caused by the ink pulling material from the paper....
Mixing into the ink linseed oil or liquids not easy and exceesive viscosity drop may happen, I suggest to use gel type tack reducer containing mineral oil which sheetfed presses use,it is easy to mix with ink.

regards,

Engin

Adding reducer may change hue of colour. Can we do some tricks with chemistry or in Pre-press
What me and Dan suggested is a temporary solution, it is an aspirin since you have an headache, the best solution is the ink supplier should investigate on the press and should change the formula of the ink according to his observations since they have the ink chemistry and should do whatever needed.
Since it is a piling problem not related to prepress in my opininon, the cyan ink is not transferring properly.

regards,

engin

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back