Loading Adobe PPD's into G5 PPC?

Bansheei

Hi there Guys!

Im trying to migrate to a PPC G5 from a G4.

G4 has had no problems, although on the NEW G5, when i try and save my indesign document to POSTSCRIPT I have 'no' ADOBE PPDS to choose from... :(

I 'need' to send them as postscript from indesign...

Can some one pretty please help me out on this one a.s.a.p

***Q: Where do I source the adobe PPDS from – and how do i load them into them into my G5 printer list... and get them up and as an option when printing to postscript from Indesign/Illy etc.

Any help would be so appreciated
:confused:

Last edited:
What MacOS versions on the G4 and the G5 ? And is it the same Adobe CS version you're using ?

It should have installed with Acrobat.
Here is where you can place it.
You could grab it from any other machine.
Did you "Load" it as a printer?
Hard Drive > Library > Printers > PPDs > Content > Resources > en.lproj

MSD

Last edited:
In the InDesign Print dialog select PostScript®File as the printer and Device Independent as the ppd. If you wish to use a different ppd, select it from the popup menu which should show all of the ones installed at the location indicated by Wharfrat.

Al

THANK YOU SO MUCH, YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!!!!

Your advice helped me so much, its all working now!

I copied the PPD's from my G4 into the folder you told me to & then went to the printer and faxes part in the X OP system, loaded them up and walla!!!!!

I can now make postscripts and distill them into beautiful pdfs.

YAY!!!! :D

But why are you doing that 2 step process, when InDesing can export pdfs of the highest quality directly in one step???

Al

Our Rip has serious issues with transparency :(

We have HQ v 7, we are upgrading to HQ 8 soon as we have $$$

Adobe PDFs

Adobe PDFs

You can create PDF Job Options in InDesign that will flatten the transparency. This would eliminate the 2-Step process of PostScript export to Distiller.

Our Rip has serious issues with transparency :(

We have HQ v 7, we are upgrading to HQ 8 soon as we have $$$

If you mean by choosing 1.3, meh distiller does a great job.

Also we have alot of font issues that happen to the files when sending to the rip when pdfs are exported from indesign.

When i use distiller it has never lets us down.

What is your suggestion... How do you flatten your pdfs by exporting it...

Acrobat Flattening

Acrobat Flattening

I've attached a copy of a PDF Job Option setting that worked well for us in the past.
With the font issue, I've found that if you set the subset value to 99% instead of 100% less problems occur.

If you mean by choosing 1.3, meh distiller does a great job.

Also we have alot of font issues that happen to the files when sending to the rip when pdfs are exported from indesign.

When i use distiller it has never lets us down.

What is your suggestion... How do you flatten your pdfs by exporting it...

yes, the reason they are being flattened is 1.3, Ive inspected your settings.

Thanks, I knew that... we are happy distilling till the new system comes in (one day soooon.) :)

Weve got watch folders setup doing a nice job at the momo :D

Thanks everyone for the ultra quick responses and great advise!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back