Loading icc profiles into Photoshop

Soilworker

We're attempting to set up sort of a homegrown soft-proofing solution between two of our offices across the country from each other..... trying to avoid solutions with monthly fees.

Part of making this work, of course, involves us having the ability to apply our proofers' icc paper simulation profiles to the necessary imagery. I know where to place the profiles to be able to apply them in Photoshop/Acrobat etc but out of the 3 I've placed there only 1 becomes available for application/conversion. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight as to why this might be?

Thanks,
Soilworker

Last edited:
I am assuming Mac OS X. The profiles should be in the library/colorsync/profiles folder. If they are not showing up there, it could be file access privileges, make sure they are set to read and write for everyone. Sometimes the colorsync caches need to be dumped in the library/caches folder (should be something like: com.apple.colorsync.profiles.503) or in the user library/caches/adobe/color. I usually check in that order and it fixes it.

It could also be showing up with a different internal name than the profile's file name.

Bret

Thanks for the info, Bret. I'm running 10.5.5... an intel machine, of course. I checked the privileges and set them accordingly but no luck. I also looked for the colorsync cache file and had no luck locating anything with a name remotely close to what you mentioned so I'm very hesitant to remove anything at all. I don't know if this is due to it being an intel machine or not.

I'll keep poking around for answers. What irks me is that I put in 3 and only 1 shows up in the list as named Perhaps the other 2 truly are just showing up with a name other than what they've been given.

Thanks,
Soilworker

One quick check you can do is just double-click on the profile in the finder and it should open in the ColorSynch Utility. Scroll down to the 'desc' tag and you will be able to see the internal name.

-Todd Shirley

Well, it's working now. I'm thinking it was a permissions issue. I'm the only one here on an Intel machine and ever since I've been using it I've had odd issues with permissions when it comes to putting (sharing) files over the network with someone on an older machine. The icc profiles I was attempting to use came from someone running OSX on an older machine. He tried to give them to me over the network and via a flash drive as well. Neither worked. So I downloaded the profiles again straight from gracol.org and they worked like magic.

Strange stuff.

Thanks for all the input.

Soilworker

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back