London Evening Standard to close daily newspaper

gordo

And for interesting reasons - the newspaper said it has been hit hard by the introduction of wi-fi on the London Underground, a shortage of commuters owing to the growth of working from home and changing consumer habits.
Closing the Evening Standard will mean that for the first time in centuries, Londoners will have no general-interest daily print newspaper.

More info here:

London_Evening_Standard_25_3_2020_400.jpg

Last edited:
Having started my career at a newspaper in 1988, this makes me sad.
Just like driving a car with a manual transmission, you can't beat the tactile feel of ink on paper.

I hate to see news like this. One big problem is that it means that people get their news in online sound bites or short articles of a couple of paragraphs and don't bother to delve into the story. They don't understand all the issues involved in complicated matters. Then they vote. Scary.

I hate to see news like this. One big problem is that it means that people get their news in online sound bites or short articles of a couple of paragraphs and don't bother to delve into the story. They don't understand all the issues involved in complicated matters. Then they vote. Scary.

I'm unable to "like" your post more than once, but would like it 10x.

They don't understand all the issues involved in complicated matters. Then they vote. Scary.

Ok, Possumgal, you're showing your age.

That's the way it used to work long, long time ago. In today's world, there is no need for us to understand all the issues or complications. The "journalists" and the "media" will tell us what to think, and, how to vote.

Imagine thinking that voting matters in 2024.

Growing up, I had an older brother and a younger brother. My older brother (let's call him "Bill") had his own room 'cause, well, he was the oldest. So, my younger brother and I shared a room.

One day, Bill and I got into an argument (hey, 3 rambunctious boys growing up, there was always crap going on). Today, I can't even recall what the argument was about, but, it eventually escalated.

At one point, Bill burst in to my room and ripped my prize Elvis Pressley poster off my wall. WELL... I wasn't going to let that stand, so, I burst in to his room and ripped his Sky King poster off HIS wall.

"That's It" he said as he went into my room and ripped my Beatles poster off my wall. Now. I'm really pissed, so, I went into his room and ripped his Lone Ranger poster off of his wall.

(Ahh, Sigh.......), such is the current nature of our Red & Blue "representatives"

But, on a positive note, it does bring back nostalgic memories of our childish, immature behavior as children. It makes me smile...............

Ok kindergartners, it's nappy time. Everyone roll out your mats......

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back