Low Temp Printer

streetsnake

Hi Everyone. I’m brand new here and am enjoying reading through the forum. I’m hoping you all can help. I’m looking for recommendations on a printer/press that runs at low temps. I have inventory that has none laser-safe thermo pre-printed on cover. I’m currently using old solid-ink printers but they are becoming obsolete. Id like to find a solution, even if temporary, to allow me to run through the inventory I have. Any thoughts are welcomed.

@streetsnake welcome to the forum.
What size sheets are you looking to produce and in what kind of quantities?

Unrelated, I just had a look at your website, which looks nice, however you have a glaring typo on the homepage - "Stationary" !

@Ynot_UK OMG! How did I not see that? Ugh. What a week it has been. In regards to size, it is 8.5 x 11 or similar, nothing bigger. We use the wide-format for those. Quantities range from just a few to 5-6K

Last edited:
So I wanted to revive my old thread. I’m still trying research this. As @gregbatch recommended, the Epson might fit the bill but we have been unsuccessful in getting anyone to service us. I had a call with the company quite awhile back and they were trying to place a dealer near us in Ohio. That was close to a year ago. Haven’t heard anything since. I’ve put in another contact request. Anyway, I was speaking with a xerox rep and he thought one of the B&W Primelinks might work. He said the fuses runs at lower temps. He took some of our stock and tested it. It didn’t have an issue, however, he only ran 10 prints so potentially not enough time for it to get too hot?? We are also now looking into bring in some type of color printer for bundling color copies for accounts and potentially booklets, maybe up to 80 pages or so. I can only do a purchase, no lease as we won’t have the volume that makes sense. I was looking at the xerox c60/70 with booklet attachment. If this was a good option, I wonder if the fuser temp could be turned down to utilize on the non-laser safe thermo?? id love to get feedback on all or part of the above. Thx in advance.

Maybe work backwards. Who printed your thermo? Can you contact them and find out what brand/type of thermo powder they used? Then find out what the melt point is for that product. Now you know where the fuser temp needs to be below and can find what, if any, machines can operate in that range. You may find success with a Canon Varioprint that uses different technology and low heat, but be cautious if you need to overprint ink. I have heard this can be a problem for fusing to the sheet. I do not have personal experience with this issue.

Maybe work backwards. Who printed your thermo? Can you contact them and find out what brand/type of thermo powder they used? Then find out what the melt point is for that product. Now you know where the fuser temp needs to be below and can find what, if any, machines can operate in that range. You may find success with a Canon Varioprint that uses different technology and low heat, but be cautious if you need to overprint ink. I have heard this can be a problem for fusing to the sheet. I do not have personal experience with this issue.
Thermo melt point is 220-260 if I remember correctly

Looks like Varioprint has a temp range of 180-220. Might be worth a look. Ask what the Xerox temp is as well.

Looks like Varioprint has a temp range of 180-220. Might be worth a look. Ask what the Xerox temp is as well.
Thanks. I’ll reach out to my canon contact to discuss. Outside of calling all the companies and inquiring about fuser temps, any idea if the is way to research it online. I’m not having much success. I’d like to find one unit that would meet all my needs for both mono & color but it looks like I’m going to have to get one mono and one color because the fuser on the color will be too high. Any suggestion for a good mono that may be a little older but still very solid an reliable?

What are the solid ink printers that you have been using? What size are the thermo covers you are running?

Have you considered a used Astro/Colordyne/Rena/iJetColor inkjet printer to handle the covers? 1600 dpi full-color (2 black tanks). Then get the toner machine that best serves your other needs. You have the added benefit of doing full color envelopes, which seems it would fit well with your product line.

Thanks. I’ll reach out to my canon contact to discuss. Outside of calling all the companies and inquiring about fuser temps, any idea if the is way to research it online. I’m not having much success. I’d like to find one unit that would meet all my needs for both mono & color but it looks like I’m going to have to get one mono and one color because the fuser on the color will be too high. Any suggestion for a good mono that may be a little older but still very solid an reliable?
Don't do VarioPrint and pre-printed media. There is a specific ink that works, I don't know it off the top of my head. VarioPrints work by pre-heating paper to open fibers. Ink cooks right out. The VP115-140 series has a setting for pre-print. It slows machine considerably.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back