Luxel T-6000 evolution

We want to buy a Fuji Luxel and actually focused on two offers which seem to be interesting (both have about the same laser-runtime):

1.) Luxel T-6000 E (2004 model)
2.) Luxel T-6000 MKIII (2006 model)

I think 2.) comes with 32 laser diodes, but besides, what are the main differences, if theres any? Initially I thought the MK III is based on the Screen PT/R 4300, I guess its not.

Both CtPs are planned to run with processfree plates (Brillia-HD). 1.) comes with the latest HQ RIP whereas 2.) runs with Celebrant 6 (Dongle 5672 incl. trapping) and has an additional single autoloader and Heidelberg punch.
2.) is about 15% more expensive than 1.) and is already over our investment limit. However, since the prices are very close I thought about spending some more and getting a newer system - if it really makes sense.

Fuji replaced the Celebrant with XMF which is very expensive for a small business like us and I was more aiming for the HQ which offers a bit more independence for future upgrades of the workflow, or am I wrong?

I'm excited about critical comments on both options.

Thank you,
Steffen

We want to buy a Fuji Luxel and actually focused on two offers which seem to be interesting (both have about the same laser-runtime):

1.) Luxel T-6000 E (2004 model)
2.) Luxel T-6000 MKIII (2006 model)

I think 2.) comes with 32 laser diodes, but besides, what are the main differences, if theres any? Initially I thought the MK III is based on the Screen PT/R 4300, I guess its not.

BB: Luxel T-6000 E was based on the Screen PT-R4100. That model was phased-out in 2006 being replaced by Luxel T-6300 (Screen's PT-R4300 E). These "entry-level" CTP's exposed with 16 laser diodes, so productivity is in the region of 11 plates/h.
Luxel T-6000 MkIII was based on the Screen PT-R4300. That model was also phased-out in 2006 being replaced by T-6300CTP S (Screen's PT-R4300 S). These expose with 32 laser diodes, so productivity is in the region of 21 plates/h.

[/QUOTE]
Fuji replaced the Celebrant with XMF which is very expensive for a small business like us and I was more aiming for the HQ which offers a bit more independence for future upgrades of the workflow, or am I wrong? [/QUOTE]

BB: Celebrant is based on the Adobe CPSI RIP interpreter. Being a PostScript RIP it converts PDF to PostScript before rendering. Celebrant licences can be traded-up to XMF, and all the output and proofer drivers licenced to the Celebrant dongle actually convert free of charge. XMF is based on Adobe PDF Print Engine RIP intepreter, so handles PDF natively, and (if necessary) converts Postscipt to PDF before rendering. XMF is modular; XMF Processor being a RIP-only solution, which can be front-ended by other XMF workflow modules - XMF Prepare to preflight and prepare print-ready PDF's, XMF Producer for imposition. All of these together are bundled as XMF Complete workflow, or XMF 4-up workflow (fadequate or T-6xxx's output format). Either Celebrant or XMF can drive Luxel T-series CTP directly, without the need for a TIF catcher/spooler.
HQ (Harlequin RIP) is your other choice. Xitron's Navigator Harlequin RIP can also drive Luxel T-series directly, without the need for a TIF catcher/spooler. Any other Harlequin RIP (of which there are miriad suppliers) will all need a TIF catcher/spooler to interface to the Luxel T-series, as they don't have direct interfaces. Fujifilm used to supply their own Fujifilm HQ RIP, but any of those still out there will be at a very old level. All the Fujifilm HQ RIPs should have been converted to Xitron Navigator ages ago, though the deal agreed between Fuji and Xitron, which are then upgradeable to the latest software revision (currently v.8).

Hope this helps?
regards, Barry

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.

So you say using the interface of the T-6XXX it is not necessary to get the USB-interface card which is also provided by Xitron and TIFF-out will work directly for this system?

Steffen

So you say using the interface of the T-6XXX it is not necessary to get the USB-interface card which is also provided by Xitron and TIFF-out will work directly for this system?

Fujifilm's own RIPs (Celebrant and XMF) use a PIF interface (PCI card) to connect the RIP PC to the exposing engine. Also Fujifilm's Celebrant Gateway (1-bit TIF spooler) uses the same PIF interface.
Older PIF boards were for 5v PCI, the current type can be used in both 5v and 3,3v slots. This fact might be significant if you are buying used equipment, and you want to migrate the RIP or spooler software and interface card to new PC hardware (there aren't many new PC's now available that support the old 5v PCI standard).

Xitron's Navigator (Harlequin RIP) and Raster Blaster (1-bit TIF spooler) uses a Xitron interface card to connect the computer to the exposing engine. The current Xitron interface for Luxel T-series is a universal type PCI card, which can be used in both 5v and 3,3v slots. Older interface cards may not be compatible with new PC slots, nor with current Navigator v. 8 software revision. Older Xitron dongles have anyway to be exchanged for current USB-type to be compatible with current software.

Whichever RIP or spooler you choose, you must have the specific interface card (specified by the RIP/Spooler software supplier for the particular engine to be driven) to get two-way communication between software and engine. It's not just pixels that have to be communicated, it's all the control data too.

regards, Barry

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back