Iridesse to Ricoh/Konica

Ended up motivating me to purchase a dedicated envelope printer - a Formax ColorMax8. It has already paid for itself in operator time. They can run 5000 envelopes in the time it took our Versant 180 to run 500.
Excuse what may be a rookie question here as our envelope printing experience is limited and been mostly for operations processes (think cash & coupon internal envelopes) as opposed to mailing. I've seen these dedicated inkjet envelope printers but often wondered how the issue of the envelope getting wet in the mail system is overcome. Do they use special inks?

Excuse what may be a rookie question here as our envelope printing experience is limited and been mostly for operations processes (think cash & coupon internal envelopes) as opposed to mailing. I've seen these dedicated inkjet envelope printers but often wondered how the issue of the envelope getting wet in the mail system is overcome. Do they use special inks?
Yeah, inkjet isn't how it used to be. The inks are usually incredibly-quick dry formula or pigment based, so the water based smearing we picture in our heads is no longer what happens. Basically imho, these days if an envelope gets wet enough to make it look like that, the mail inside would be irreparably damaged as well.

I am flabbergasted by the multiple people here saying the Xerox Versant180 is great for running envelopes. We ran envelopes on ours for a year and despite trying every brand we could get our hands on, had terrible feeding, jamming, and quality issues. Ended up motivating me to purchase a dedicated envelope printer - a Formax ColorMax8. It has already paid for itself in operator time. They can run 5000 envelopes in the time it took our Versant 180 to run 500.
Something was wrong then. We just ran 4000 through our v80 yesterday and I had one jam. Only time I ever have problems is when it's a really cheap envelope or just badly boxed stock and it's warped before going in.

Most of the newer Inkjet envelope printers use pigment ink which is not water based like memjet inks and does not smear. With that said I have a colormax8 and you have to get the envelope pretty wet for the ink to smear, if it is a top shelf mailing you can use special inkjet envelopes that do not smear when you get them wet and the colors pop more.

I can print envelopes on my Ricoh 7200 but would rather do them on the inkjet as it is cheaper and faster, I get around 6000-7000 /hr on addressing with basic graphics on #10's.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back