Mac Workstations - What are you using? Future Plans?

Mac Workstations - What are you using? Future Plans?

• Mac Pro

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • iMac

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Mac Mini

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Macbook Pro

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Macbook Air

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

chevalier

Our Mac Pros are nearing the end of their useful lifespan. Considering it's been nearly 2 years since Apple has updated the Mac Pro line and its future seems questionable I was curious what others were planning to do if the Mac Pro line was discontinued.

27" iMac Here. Pretty small, mostly digital shop. Might lack a little horsepower if we did more large books, but hums along for the mostly short-run digital stuff we do.

With more being done in workflow solutions, iMac has great cost to wow factor and you can move them from Prepress and into a CSR in 18-24 months to make everyone happy!

I have a 27" imac coming my way at the end of the month. Its the fastest model (3,4 i7) with 8GB ram.
PrintIt: How much RAM is in yours? Hoping 8gb will be enough.

I dont think its likely that the pro series will disappear. Its good revenue for Apple, and many big industries rely on pro macs.

Since last thursday I am proud owner of a Mac mini hooked up to a Flatscreen HD telly, since then I have been feeding on a diet of Photoshop and Illustrator files and it has not even burped. At the moment I am quite impressed

The Mac Mini is a treat indeed! I have one of those also, but its in intensive care right now with a heart problem.... Please send it your love :)

I have a 27" imac coming my way at the end of the month. Its the fastest model (3,4 i7) with 8GB ram.
PrintIt: How much RAM is in yours? Hoping 8gb will be enough.

I dont think its likely that the pro series will disappear. Its good revenue for Apple, and many big industries rely on pro macs.

Depending on your workstation upgrade/replacement schedule I would max out the RAM. Go with a SSD over a spinning disk (if you need extra space get an external via thunderbolt).

Looks like a new Mac Pro is still in the R&D lab at this point...
Tim Cook confirms updated Mac Pro coming in 2013

Max in the biggest imac is 16GB, so i might do the upgrade a little down the road.

Anyone know if you can add RAM to the imac yourself? I read about the new Retina Macbook, and on that machine the RAM is welded directly to the board.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back