What brand of paper do you use?

PrintMike

I just purchased two Ricoh Pro C7200 with the 5th color. It replaced Xerox Iridesse that was overkill for our volume. I also have the in-line GBC punch which we had on the Iridesse. My problem is a lot of jams when running through the punch. We currently run 28lb Hammermill Premium Color Copy paper and since it was jamming on both printers I am leaning towards the paper as a possible cause. I am curious to know what brand of paper is used while using the GBC in-line punch. Also curious to see if others are having the same issue with the punch. Thanks.

It's the punch. Those GBC punches are terrible. I've used them on multiple machines in the last 15 years and they always jam and mispunch.

It's the punch. Those GBC punches are terrible. I've used them on multiple machines in the last 15 years and they always jam and mispunch.
I was hoping that was not the case. I may be able to have them take it back and give us a credit if it continues to happen. Thanks for the response.

Agree with @namelessentity . We get lots of skewed punches. We have the GBC punch inline with our one of our Konica 6136's and I believe they're all the same between the manufacturers, just a different color shell. When we upgrade our machines, we plan on getting an offline unit such as the EasyPunch or the DocuPunch made by JBI. Our other reason for wanting to go offline is we often combine color covers with b/w guts, or even entirely color jobs. Our GBC unit is only on a b/w printer, so we have to run color jobs through as blank prints to punch them or resort to the manual punch machines. We use the coil, comb, and wire-o dies.

Last edited:
Agree with @namelessentity . We get lots of skewed punches. We have the GBC punch inline with our one of our Konica 6136's and I believe their all the same between the manufacturers, just a different color shell. When we upgrade our machines, we plan on getting an offline unit such as the EasyPunch or the DocuPunch made by JBI. Our other reason for wanting to go offline is we often combine color covers with b/w guts, or even entirely color jobs. Our GBC unit is only on a b/w printer, so we have to run color jobs through as blank prints to punch them or resort to the manual punch machines. We use the coil, comb, and wire-o dies.
That is two votes for the punch being the issue. We run a lot of mixed media orders such as paper and tabs. If I went to an offline punch I would need something that can punch entire books and not have to punch the paper and then punch tabs causing the operators to hand collate the books. We are only in the first week of the new printer so if they cannot get it to run better I will have to fight to get the punch removed and credit the amount we are spending. Thanks for you comments.

If I went to an offline punch I would need something that can punch entire books and not have to punch the paper and then punch tabs causing the operators to hand collate the books.
Both of those machines I mentioned can do mixed media, including tabs. We do lots of training manuals with divider tabs as well, so that's an essential feature for us.

I have two of those punches and do sometimes have issues. Sounds like something a service call should be able to sort out.

I have two of those punches and do sometimes have issues. Sounds like something a service call should be able to sort out.
I am hopeful a service call will help also but I am not holding my breath. We are only a few days in from install so I am going to keep placing calls until they fix it or tell me there is nothing else they can do and then force them to give my money back for the punches. Thanks

Agree with @namelessentity . We get lots of skewed punches. We have the GBC punch inline with our one of our Konica 6136's and I believe they're all the same between the manufacturers, just a different color shell. When we upgrade our machines, we plan on getting an offline unit such as the EasyPunch or the DocuPunch made by JBI. Our other reason for wanting to go offline is we often combine color covers with b/w guts, or even entirely color jobs. Our GBC unit is only on a b/w printer, so we have to run color jobs through as blank prints to punch them or resort to the manual punch machines. We use the coil, comb, and wire-o dies.
We have been using a JBI DocuPunch for about 9 years and it has been great. But, it needs some new belts and other things as it is starting to miss-punch a lot. I have been trying to get parts for two weeks and have had no success. JBI has not returned my emails and the other large vendors have been unable to find parts for me. I am now looking at buying a new Sterling DigiPunch because they manufacture there own parts. Also, the machine is very similar to the DocuPunch. Good luck.

I had a tech come out yesterday and the module was a high compared to the printer. He adjusted and I was able to run around 40 books without jamming. I am still going to keep an eye on it and continue to call it in if we have problems. Thanks for the info on the offline punches. I think it might be the way to go in the future. I hate the way GBC designed that thing. Paper should not have to make 90 degree turns four times between the printer and finisher. They could have put the punch on top and had the paper path straight. It might not look good but it would run better.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back