Need experienced thoughts on printer options

MarkDye

I work for a planning firm that prints full-color technical documents (airport master plans, environmental assessments, etc.).

We currently have a Canon C710 and print most often on 24# Hammermill, with some 80# cover and the occasional 80# gloss (about 216gm at most), 5-tab sheets (1/4" vinyl), and the odd #10 envelope. Other items include GBC (sprial and comb), 3-hole, saddle stitch, z-fold, etc. etc. etc. .

Print volume varies wildly from month to month, but we've done ~600,000k total in the last 2.5 years. Files can range from 30 to 500 pages, all duplexed.

I'm also a bit of a n00b, so have never done color calibration, registration, etc., on it but intend on being trained how to do so with this new machine.

Said machine (a.k.a., the USS Printerprise) has been okayish. Was great when we first got it but it's recently started to have issues and our service company has been...suboptimal. We are getting a new vendor and here's what folks have given me as options (all seem to do what we need):

• Xerox PrimeLink C9065 - Least expensive by quite a bit...which makes me wonder why. Is it a downgrade?
  • Canon Imagepress v800 (and another with v700) - Stick with what ya know maybe...? Most expensive, but less than we currently pay (which is odd, but whatever.) Also realize these are brand spanking new so info/experience might be limited.
  • Xerox versant 280 - Seems like a step up from the PrimeLink above...? Have read some mixed reviews on it.
  • Konica Minolta AccurioPress C4070 - 2nd most affordable, but never used anything from the company so no clue about these.

We'll probably stick with Fiery for all of them given we know it.

The key thing for us is reliability first, quality second, and ease of use third as there are a few of us who will be using it.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice/comments/thoughts. :)

We have a Konica C3070 and a Xerox Versant 80, so both are a generation or two behind what you're looking at.

The Xerox has some features that I wish the Konica had (such as automated front/back registration adjustment), but in general I much prefer the Konica. I feel more comfortable servicing bits in the Konica (it's on a service contract but little things like the Corona wires, cleaning the transfer belt, etc are easy to do), but whenever something happens with the Xerox, I find myself looking at it like a rabbit in headlights.

A good shout to stick with Fiery for whichever you choose as that will be the major interaction with any of the machines, so keeping that the same will largely keep your team being able to run any of the printers mentioned.

My view on the Xerox C9065 - These are really 'office copiers' with some addons to make them 'ok' for small print shops. You will likely have to lower your expectations if you go for one of those, as things like registration and media handling won't be as good as the other machines you mentioned. I personally wouldn't want to run one in a print shop, though for your volume, you might be ok. It is definitely a step down from all the other machines in your line up though. **This is just my opinion so please take with a pinch of salt**

@gazfocus , the C3070 does have the option to add auto front/back registration if you get the IQ-501. The downside is it adds about 2ft to the length of your machine, and it's a costly add-on (around $12k US). However, for our tight registration needs, we love it. We run a "both sides adjustment" prior to new jobs, and it's spot on every time. It also has the option to check every sheet as it's printing if you're using oversized paper. It uses the margins to print its own registration marks that it reads with internal cameras. If you're not printing on oversized paper, it has the option to periodically check at whatever increment you specify. The IQ is also designed to auto calibrate colors, and it can check colors on every sheet in the same fashion as the registration. We have our machines set to do a full color density/calibration automatically in the morning. Lastly, it supposedly has a feature where it can check every print for issues such as a void from dust, hickies, random toner spots, etc. We've never used it, but my understanding is that after you output a successful sheet, you tell the machine to use that as a reference point. If it detects sheets with a quality issue, it redirects that print to another tray for manual inspection.

@gazfocus , the C3070 does have the option to add auto front/back registration if you get the IQ-501. The downside is it adds about 2ft to the length of your machine, and it's a costly add-on (around $12k US). However, for our tight registration needs, we love it. We run a "both sides adjustment" prior to new jobs, and it's spot on every time. It also has the option to check every sheet as it's printing if you're using oversized paper. It uses the margins to print its own registration marks that it reads with internal cameras. If you're not printing on oversized paper, it has the option to periodically check at whatever increment you specify. The IQ is also designed to auto calibrate colors, and it can check colors on every sheet in the same fashion as the registration. We have our machines set to do a full color density/calibration automatically in the morning. Lastly, it supposedly has a feature where it can check every print for issues such as a void from dust, hickies, random toner spots, etc. We've never used it, but my understanding is that after you output a successful sheet, you tell the machine to use that as a reference point. If it detects sheets with a quality issue, it redirects that print to another tray for manual inspection.
Yeh I did have the option when I bought my Konica but it was about £16k and I was only paying £20k for the printer itself. Bought the printer direct from Konica UK, and paid £22k+vat for the C3070/stacker finisher with stapler and hole punch modules/3 tray oversized feeder.

One option I may explore is buying our next printer outright and just financing the IQ.

I work for a planning firm that prints full-color technical documents (airport master plans, environmental assessments, etc.).

We currently have a Canon C710 and print most often on 24# Hammermill, with some 80# cover and the occasional 80# gloss (about 216gm at most), 5-tab sheets (1/4" vinyl), and the odd #10 envelope. Other items include GBC (sprial and comb), 3-hole, saddle stitch, z-fold, etc. etc. etc. .

Print volume varies wildly from month to month, but we've done ~600,000k total in the last 2.5 years. Files can range from 30 to 500 pages, all duplexed.

I'm also a bit of a n00b, so have never done color calibration, registration, etc., on it but intend on being trained how to do so with this new machine.

Said machine (a.k.a., the USS Printerprise) has been okayish. Was great when we first got it but it's recently started to have issues and our service company has been...suboptimal. We are getting a new vendor and here's what folks have given me as options (all seem to do what we need):

• Xerox PrimeLink C9065 - Least expensive by quite a bit...which makes me wonder why. Is it a downgrade?
  • Canon Imagepress v800 (and another with v700) - Stick with what ya know maybe...? Most expensive, but less than we currently pay (which is odd, but whatever.) Also realize these are brand spanking new so info/experience might be limited.
  • Xerox versant 280 - Seems like a step up from the PrimeLink above...? Have read some mixed reviews on it.
  • Konica Minolta AccurioPress C4070 - 2nd most affordable, but never used anything from the company so no clue about these.

The key thing for us is reliability first, quality second, and ease of use third as there are a few of us who will be using it.

When I looked at Xerox the dealer told me the prime link was not really a production level machine.

I have two Ricoh c5310s, with GBC punch units as well.

We also print and punch tab sheets.

On the whole they’re good machines for our usage.

It would be worth taking a look at them id suggest

I can’t speak for the Canon V series, but I did have a Canon c810 in my shop and even though I have my issues with Xerox, the Versant 280 that I have is much more productive than the Canon was. On the Versant 280, if you run a lot of coated stock you’ll see your tech more often. From what you described as your current work, you’d have no problems with a Versant 280.

I’m not so sure that you need a production level class press from your job descriptions. If you never color calibrate now, and you never adjust for front to back registration then these are not high on your priority list. The Versant 280 has a normal duty cycle of 80,000 pages a month so your volume would be no problem for it. I would put more attention into the finishing end of things like your binding, hole punching and booklets.

The Primlink isn’t on the same production level as the other machines, but I don’t see from your description that your volume or quality required warrants a higher-class machine. I would get a quote for the C9070 though since that would be on pare with the C710 speed that you have now and make sure they included the Fiery and not the Xerox integrated server. Make sure you see all these machines in action as they print and bind several of your normal everyday jobs. Talk to Ricoh too.

Colour calibration and registration alignment have really been mostly automated these days, I remember the headaches of registration and consistent colour when I first got into digital. Now it is a dream in comparison! I am a big fan of the Versant 2100, had one for a number of years and it was great at everything from envelopes to 18pt card stock. Not as familiar with the baby version of the V80, but if it has the same inline options as the 2100 (now 4100) then doing colour calibration is a breeze and doing registration calibration for your stocks is also a breeze, basically click a few buttons and let the printer do the work. I found on my Versant 2100 the colour consistency was fantastic and better then anything I have had before or have now. I could print something and then reprint 6 months later and basically be looking at the same thing. On top of asking questions here, let the sales people from the companies you are getting quotes with find you answers for your questions and provide some education.

We have a Versant180 and are currently shopping options, one of them being the 280. Tbqh I really hope we can get a Konica because Xerox corporate seems to have majorly gone downhill in the last few years. Parts are lower quality, harder to get, there are less repair techs, they take longer to respond, it's been a nightmare dealing with them. (West coast, US). In the past I've used some Konica machines and they have been amazing in comparison.

Here is a brief overview of the four printers that you have listed:

• Xerox PrimeLink C9065: This is a mid-range printer that offers good value for money. It is reliable and produces high-quality prints. However, it may not be the best choice for users who need a lot of features or who print on a variety of media.
  • Canon Imagepress v800: This is a high-end printer that offers the best of both worlds in terms of reliability and quality. It is also very versatile, so it can handle a variety of media. However, it is the most expensive option on your list.
  • Xerox VersaLink 280: This is a high-performance printer that is designed for high-volume printing. It is very reliable and produces high-quality prints. However, it may not be the best choice for users who need a lot of features or who print on a variety of media.
  • Konica Minolta AccurioPress C4070: This is a mid-range printer that offers good value for money. It is reliable and produces high-quality prints. It is also very versatile, so it can handle a variety of media.
Based on your requirements, I would recommend the Xerox PrimeLink C9065 or the Canon Imagepress v800. Both printers are reliable and produce high-quality prints. However, the Canon Imagepress v800 is more expensive and offers more features.

If you are on a budget, the Xerox PrimeLink C9065 is a good option. It is reliable and produces high-quality prints, and it is the most affordable option on your list.

If you need a printer that can handle a variety of media, the Konica Minolta AccurioPress C4070 is a good choice. It is versatile and produces high-quality prints.

Ultimately, the best printer for you will depend on your specific needs and budget. I recommend that you compare the features and specifications of the four printers that you have listed to decide which one is the best fit for you.

Here are some additional factors to consider when choosing a printer:

• Print volume: If you print a lot of documents, you will need a printer that can handle the volume.
  • Media types: If you print on a variety of media, you will need a printer that can handle different types of paper.
  • Features: Some printers offer additional features, such as the ability to print on envelopes or to create booklets.
  • Cost: Printers can range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars.

If they all meet your requirements, and the method & cost of finance comparable, the difference imo is;

a) tco over the term of the service contract
b) reputation of their service department to minimise downtown

fwiw I loathe km sales, but the c4070 is a workhouse & their techs are good

km's own hikari rip is unnecessarily loud imo

cheers bill

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back