macOS 10.12 question

StillWaiting

Hi,
Have to get a new iMac for department and of course Esko software is gonna throw everything off from being able to use it because it has macOS 10.12 on it.
Is anyone out there running macOS 10.12 with Automation Engine 14.1.1 and/or 16 along with and DeskPack 14.1.1 and Neo 10.1.4?

why an iMac just curious
we have had great success with mac minis with SSD
as for your original question sorry cannot help

Hi,
Have to get a new iMac for department and of course Esko software is gonna throw everything off from being able to use it because it has macOS 10.12 on it.
Is anyone out there running macOS 10.12 with Automation Engine 14.1.1 and/or 16 along with and DeskPack 14.1.1 and Neo 10.1.4?

No one....?

Although I am unable to answer your specific question, given that Sierra was only released within the last couple of weeks, there's a good chance that any Mac you buy in a brick & mortar will still have El Capitan on it so you may be fine. Of course, if you do a build to order, then it will likely come with Sierra.

Best regards,
pd

Esko software system requirements are here --> https://www.esko.com/en/SystemRequirements/ . Select your software/version (server or client) then scroll down to see what OS are supported.

OMG. Really. I've been using Esko software for 10 years and a never thought that. Not!

My question is if someone is buying new Mac hardware for their prepress department and it comes with macOS 10.12 on it how in the yeck am I suppose install any Esko software/plug-ins on it when it takes Esko 6 months to make it compatible with macOS 10.12. I guess the new Tech. will have to sit for 6 months there and twiddle their thumbs.

So that is why my original post asked if any other Esko user has disobeyed Esko and taken the plunge and tried it with macOS 10.12?

(And yes. I'm pissed)

OMG. Really. I've been using Esko software for 10 years and a never thought that. Not!

My question is if someone is buying new Mac hardware for their prepress department and it comes with macOS 10.12 on it how in the yeck am I suppose install any Esko software/plug-ins on it when it takes Esko 6 months to make it compatible with macOS 10.12. I guess the new Tech. will have to sit for 6 months there and twiddle their thumbs.

So that is why my original post asked if any other Esko user has disobeyed Esko and taken the plunge and tried it with macOS 10.12?

(And yes. I'm pissed)

We had a new MAC in our graphics dept., that was on 10.12 photoshop was having problems...So we installed 10.11....10.12 is still so new all developers are not up to date....We usually wait about 6 months before up grading
OS if needed.

We had a new MAC in our graphics dept., that was on 10.12 photoshop was having problems...So we installed 10.11....10.12 is still so new all developers are not up to date....We usually wait about 6 months before up grading
OS if needed.

Do you know of a good link on how to downgrade to 10.11 from 10.12. The iMac is coming in with 10.12. Trust me we don't upgrade that quick either but it's a new machine. Thanks.

StillWaiting, I have the El Capitan installer for which you could do a fresh install. If you PM me your FTP details, I would be happy to upload it to you.

Cheers,
pd

Do you know of a good link on how to downgrade to 10.11 from 10.12. The iMac is coming in with 10.12. Trust me we don't upgrade that quick either but it's a new machine. Thanks.

I don't think you can roll back a new mac that comes with Sierra can you? Isn't it tied/binded to the hardware/firmware? Or have they changed that? If you want app compatibly check out RoaringApps (link down below) And for downgrading you can do a restore from time machine of your old machine on the new one or this link as well http://www.imore.com/how-downgrade-o...-os-x-yosemite

Last edited:
[h=2]How to Downgrade macOS Sierra to OS X El Capitan [/h]
Step #1. First off, you will have to click on Apple icon from top left corner and select Restart.

Step #2. Next up; while the Mac restarts, you have to hold down Command+R.

Step #3. From the OS X Utilities, you need to click Disk Utility followed by Continue.

Step #4. Next, click on Startup Disk followed by Erase.

Step #5. Up next, you have to type in Macintosh HD for the name. (Or anything you like)

Step #6. Finally, you will have to select Mac OS Extended from the Format list and then click on Erase.

After you have erased macOS Sierra, you have to quit Disk Utility and start reinstalling OS X El Capitan.

Reinstall OS X El Capitan on Your Mac

Step #1. From OS X Utilities, you have to click on Reinstall OS X.

Step #2. Next up, click Continue on the OS X El Capitan Installer.

Now, go ahead with the process, agree to the terms & conditions and reinstall it.

Once the process is successfully completed, your Mac will restart.

Restore Data from Time Machine on Mac

After you have downgraded from macOS Sierra to OS X El Capitan, you will need to restore your data from Time Machine.

Step #1. First off, restart your Mac. While your Mac reboots, you need to hold down Command+R.

Step #2. Next, click Restore from Time Machine Backup from the OS X Utilities menu.

Step #3. Click Continue.

Step #4. You have to click Continue again after reading “Restore Your System” page.

Step #5. Select Time Machine Backup and then click Continue.

Step #6. Finally, you will have to select the most recent backup and click Continue.

[h=2]How to Downgrade macOS Sierra to OS X El Capitan [/h]
Step #1. First off, you will have to click on Apple icon from top left corner and select Restart.

Step #2. Next up; while the Mac restarts, you have to hold down Command+R.

Step #3. From the OS X Utilities, you need to click Disk Utility followed by Continue.

Step #4. Next, click on Startup Disk followed by Erase.

Step #5. Up next, you have to type in Macintosh HD for the name. (Or anything you like)

Step #6. Finally, you will have to select Mac OS Extended from the Format list and then click on Erase.

After you have erased macOS Sierra, you have to quit Disk Utility and start reinstalling OS X El Capitan.

Reinstall OS X El Capitan on Your Mac

Step #1. From OS X Utilities, you have to click on Reinstall OS X.

Step #2. Next up, click Continue on the OS X El Capitan Installer.

Now, go ahead with the process, agree to the terms & conditions and reinstall it.

Once the process is successfully completed, your Mac will restart.

Restore Data from Time Machine on Mac

After you have downgraded from macOS Sierra to OS X El Capitan, you will need to restore your data from Time Machine.

Step #1. First off, restart your Mac. While your Mac reboots, you need to hold down Command+R.

Step #2. Next, click Restore from Time Machine Backup from the OS X Utilities menu.

Step #3. Click Continue.

Step #4. You have to click Continue again after reading “Restore Your System” page.

Step #5. Select Time Machine Backup and then click Continue.

Step #6. Finally, you will have to select the most recent backup and click Continue.

Thanks. In your 2nd section. Reinstall OS X El Capitan on Your Mac is the OS X El Capitan Installer in OS X Utilities? Or do I need a copy?
I do not have to restore from Time Machine to get any data since this is just a day one down grade. Thanks

Im a little late to the discussion but I can tell you that version 16 DOES work with Sierra. Not positive about V14. We had the same issue with a new iMac and figured what the hell, may as well try Sierra before downgrading the OS. I would say go ahead and give it a try. If you hit an issue, then downgrade.

Im a little late to the discussion but I can tell you that version 16 DOES work with Sierra. Not positive about V14. We had the same issue with a new iMac and figured what the hell, may as well try Sierra before downgrading the OS. I would say go ahead and give it a try. If you hit an issue, then downgrade.

Thanks WI-Flexo. I was waiting for your comment. We have just Pilot, DeskPack and Neo on the Macs. Do you have the same with Sierra?

Thanks WI-Flexo. I was waiting for your comment. We have just Pilot, DeskPack and Neo on the Macs. Do you have the same with Sierra?

We have tested the following with Sierra (again these are Esko V16) Deskpack, Artpro, Pilot, Shuttle, Action list editor, and the server web interface. We had ZERO issues with anything. It would be nice if Esko would offer known compatibility issues so you knew if they had found something also.

It does frustrate me given that all these big software developers have access to the beta software they don't appear to do any testing until a new OS is released.

I understand its beta and things could change but equally they could find issues which could be freed back and fixed before the software is released.

From my understanding the issues with compatibility for Sierra should be few if El Cap was supported.

I would offer a suggested route given the size of internal hard drives these days partition the drive have your current OS on one and then use the other for testing new releases.

So in your case StillWaiting I would partition the new iMac keeping the new OS on one then download and install El Cap on the other. Using this method if there are problems you can reboot to the other OS but more importantly once developers start saying Sierra is now supported can be tested without having to upgrade you current working system.

Another method I have used in the past is having an external drive for the new OS if space is tight.

It does frustrate me given that all these big software developers have access to the beta software they don't appear to do any testing until a new OS is released.

I understand its beta and things could change but equally they could find issues which could be freed back and fixed before the software is released.

From my understanding the issues with compatibility for Sierra should be few if El Cap was supported.

I would offer a suggested route given the size of internal hard drives these days partition the drive have your current OS on one and then use the other for testing new releases.

So in your case StillWaiting I would partition the new iMac keeping the new OS on one then download and install El Cap on the other. Using this method if there are problems you can reboot to the other OS but more importantly once developers start saying Sierra is now supported can be tested without having to upgrade you current working system.

Another method I have used in the past is having an external drive for the new OS if space is tight.

Why would they do that when customers do the beta testing for them, it´s called "Bananaware!" Deliver it green and let it ripen at the customers.

We have tested the following with Sierra (again these are Esko V16) Deskpack, Artpro, Pilot, Shuttle, Action list editor, and the server web interface. We had ZERO issues with anything. It would be nice if Esko would offer known compatibility issues so you knew if they had found something also.

WI-Flexo any luck with Nexus Manger on Sierra?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back